Sony HT-A9 vs price equivalent system - Opinions?

cybergambit

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at upgrading the sound in my home theatre and the Sony HT-A9 caught my eye. Not for the purists I know, but after adding the Sony subwoofer (SW5), there could be a chance for me to pick up the whole system for around £1,500-£1,800 (second hand). My question is that for dedicated cinema room setup (all be it relatively simple, see signature for current setup), is this going to be a better option than getting a 5.1.2 speaker set (i.e. with a sub and Atmos speakers) and an AVR, all for around that sub £2k mark? (again all being second hand).

if the latter… recommendations please?

Thanks

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hello

Be mindful with the A9, it's very limiting with inputs.
I've been trying to help a customer with a turntable connect to one and it's been a painful experience (no analog inputs and bluetooth is temperamental).

What are the requirements - is it just an active system you're looking for, 5.1 or more?

I honestly would consider (if possible) a 5.1 system with an AVR.

The Yamaha A2A would give 5.1.2 support:

You could then get the DALI Oberon 1 5.1 system if you preferred the smaller speakers:

Or the larger Oberon 3 fronts:

These (discounted for a bundle purchase) would provide you more flexibility going forward :)

cybergambit

Hello

Be mindful with the A9, it's very limiting with inputs.
I've been trying to help a customer with a turntable connect to one and it's been a painful experience (no analog inputs and bluetooth is temperamental).

What are the requirements - is it just an active system you're looking for, 5.1 or more?

I honestly would consider (if possible) a 5.1 system with an AVR.

The Yamaha A2A would give 5.1.2 support:

You could then get the DALI Oberon 1 5.1 system if you preferred the smaller speakers:

Or the larger Oberon 3 fronts:

These (discounted for a bundle purchase) would provide you more flexibility going forward :)
Hi @Yorkshire AV , thanks very much for your detailed reply.

The primary purpose is for the system to be an easily arrangeable, movie watching system. I use streaming services using a Roku stick and on occasion will have a PS4 plugged in too. I‘ve read that a HDMI splitter works fine with the A9?

I’m also fine with getting a ”proper” 5.1.2 AV system - or more accurately an upgrade to my current 7.1 setup with 7x B&W M1s, a Velodyne EQ MAX 8 running through a Denon AVR.

In your opinion, would the upgraded Dali system you recommend be a significant (ie. noticeable) step up from my current set-up, seeing as most reviews state that the A9 is ”game changing”?

Thanks
CG

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
I'd be tempted to stick with the velodyne over a "stock" subwoofer if it's in good working order.
The Denon is quite an old one - there are absolutely benefits of upgrading.

The M1's are a good little speaker - they just lack cabinet size which naturally limits the range and scale they can deliver.

The Oberon 3 are a considerably larger unit and would absolutely (along with the centre VOKAL) give you an improved performance at the front end absolutely :)

cybergambit

I'd be tempted to stick with the velodyne over a "stock" subwoofer if it's in good working order.
The Denon is quite an old one - there are absolutely benefits of upgrading.

The M1's are a good little speaker - they just lack cabinet size which naturally limits the range and scale they can deliver.

The Oberon 3 are a considerably larger unit and would absolutely (along with the centre VOKAL) give you an improved performance at the front end absolutely :)

Thanks for that - so an AVR and upgrade to Oberon 3 would be the suggested upgrade for increased performance on the current setup I have.

Now the last question is whether this upgraded 5.1/AVR system is going to out perform the Sony A9 + SW5 setup... 🧐

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom