1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS50 - Vertical Yellow Line - Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ant_blk, Jun 13, 2005.

1. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my HS50 today.

When using the S-Video port there is a thin yellow line that runs vertically down the screen near the right hand side. It is fairly subtle and most visible in dark scenes.

It isn't there when using HDMI.

I have the new firmware on this projector (1.02).

Anybody know what this line may be??

2. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say the cable is faulty at a guess. Considering you don't get it using HDMI then it shows the pixels are fine. ie. the LCD panels are ok. And I can't imagine there is a glitch in the S-Video processing part of things. Personally I use S-Video over a 5 metre cable, and I have no problems with the exact same projector and firmware.

Try using another S-Video cable for a comparison.

Cheers

3. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnx Crivens,

I will try to borrow another SVideo cable but I don't get this line on my CRT with the same cable.

Why wouldn't the SVideo processing be faulty?

I must say that other than this yellow line the picture is outstanding. Who says SVideo is poor or you need a scaler to get a good picture out of the HS50?

4. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason I wouldn't consider the SVideo processing side of things to be faulty is because I have the exact same projector and firmware, with no problems on SVideo. It's essentially a computer, so for one part to go wrong and not another (which uses the same display as HDMI) would imply the software is corrupt (mine is fine, so would have to be corruption rather than a bug) or the hardware is faulty (which would indicate the cable unless a different hardware component is used for processing SVideo rather than HDMI). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a projector guru, but I am a computer programmer by trade, and that's what I would decide for a computer.

Failing that, is the line right on the edge? Haven't noticed with mine, but could easily be because the line is just inside the black area of the screen.

Out of interest, what happens if you flip the screen upside down? Mine is on the ceiling basically. Might make a difference. Dunno.

Cheers

5. ant_blk

ant_blk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using the SVideo port with high-end Ixos cable and also different video sources, the yellow line still appeared. Flipping the image made no difference, it just flipped the yellow line. The line became thicker and very obvious when I did a wide-mode zoom.

Anyway, I returned the unit and exchanged it for a new one. The new unit does not have this line. :)

I think everyone should be aware of this potential glitch. A lot of people might not try out the SVideo port until it's too late for an exchange. I'm surprised nobody has commented about similar experiences.

With all the other problems people have had: panel misalignment etc, I wonder what the chances of receiving a flawless HS50 are these days? 75%? What happenned to Japanese quality control and Japanese perfection?