1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS50 Repair Experience

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tpurvis, Jul 6, 2005.

1. tpurvis

tpurvis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get hold of a Sony HS50 just before the New Year and was very happy with it. Unfortunately it started to develop discolouration on the right hand side of the picture to the point that the opening titles of Star Wars were yellow on one side fading off towards green on the other.

I dealt with the Sony Service centre in Wales directly and they picked up my unit and had it for several weeks while they waited for a new optical unit, which whilst frustrating seemed reasonable.

They then shipped the unit back to me and immediately after setting it up (it is connected to an HTPC running Meedio) I noticed that white text on a coloured background was getting a line of red on the left side which it hadn't previously.

After reading these forums I guessed this is down to the panel alignment so contacted Sony to pick the projector up again which they did.

However they have now had the unit for another few weeks and are telling me they can't find anything wrong with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get them to understand what is wrong? Does anyone else have experience with this problem and getting Sony to even acknowledge it?

I wish now I had taken some screenshots but hind sight is a wonderful thing!

2. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Could you mock up a gif file to show them what the problem looks like, something like this one:

Attached Files:

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    Are you absolutely certain its not your cables, or another part of your equipment? Can you take it to a friends house to try on a PC with another cable, and a standalone DVD player and another cable?

4. tpurvis

tpurvis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that's not a bad idea on the mocked up gif.

I am sure there is nothing up with the cables or source, I have tried it with a standalone DVD player which has VGA out and am seeing exactly the same thing. The problem manifested after it had been to Sony for repair.

5. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like panel misalignment to me. My Hs50 has a very slight misalignment on the blue, only visible a few inches from the screen (I've decided to put up with it for now.) Apparently it's very common on the hs50. There's a certain tolerence that sony accept, but it looks like yours might be outside that.

Keep bagdering them, I personally feel that an defect like that is totally unacceptable on an expensive item.

It's a shame that was is basically a great product is ruined by a few minor problems.

SB