1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS50 prob

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cartman69, Jan 18, 2005.

1. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had my hs50 for a few days now and it has developed a fault/problem - or I've just noticed it!! When I look at the screen the bottom is level, but if i look at the top of the screen, there is an approx 1/2" dip at the centre of the screen in relation to the left and right?? Any suggestions from the experts out there, any help greatly received from a newbie!!

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Any possibility you can take a picture and post it for us to look at?

3. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanx for the reply, I'll try and dig my camera out take a few snaps,tho I'm no david bailey. Only possible explaination I can come up with is at the moment the vertical lense shift is at or near max until I get proj mounted properly - could this cause the prob :confused:

4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    The maximum lens shift is always going to be bad news for picture quality. Have you tried a temporary setup by standing the unit on the sofa/chair/table to get it more central, and then check? This would confirm or eliminate whether thats the problem

5. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'screen' is flat? No sag?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    It's almost certain to be a curve in the screen, rather than an issue with the projector.

7. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have my HS50 mounted quite high on a shelf and projecting 8' to a screen 24" from the floor - hence I am using quite alot of vertical down shift. I have noticed that the bottom of the screen (projected image) is raised by about 5mm in the centre with respect to the two edges. I am projecting onto a perfectly flat wall. I assumed this was the price you pay for using lots of lens shift. By the way, the problem is so small on my 84" screen that it does not bother me. Cheers, Jason.

8. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the projector has to be perfectly square in relation to the projected surface whether using lens shift or not could it be that a slight drop/rise in the angle of the shelf is causing a distorted image at the screen. I have read previously where some one had exactly this problem but on the side of the image, only to discover that the projector wasn't quite square

9. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the projector is square and level. The sides and top of the projected image are all completely straight and level - wouldn't these show signs of distortion too. It is just the bottom that is slightly off - as I said it is a very small amount in the scheme of things. Cheers.

10. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    well I finally got proj mounted into position along my new screen, and after spending a great deal of time levelling it up and makeing sure it was square
    the problem has gone :clap: In it's new position I've got very little lense shift, so that in conjuntion to the other setup issues may have been the problem. Sorry not to reply sooner, but I've been too busy enjoying the picture :)

11. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have now got mine, and I can confirm that an uneven top or bottom edge IS caused by extreme amounts of lens shift.

unfortunately my machine has to be high due to an archway underneath, so I have to decide between uneven lower edge, or tilting the machine little to use less shift, and correct with some keystone.

hmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

12. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Or you could do what i did as temp fix - oversize the image slightly on the screen to hide the effect :D not THE answer but it's AN answer. I had to do something, once I noticed it it was driving me up the wall!!

13. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    You are supposed to overscan - therefore you wouldnt see the edges on a normal black edged mounted screen.

14. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I don't overscan. I don't underscan either. It should be possible to get the picture so it touches the black edges of the screen, but doesn't go over it.
    That's how mine is set. Overscan is a good way of hiding rough or uneven edges, but its not something you 'should' do IMO.

Sony projectors already use around 5% overscan. You really don't want to lose anymore picture than that.

15. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Jules, I think you have misunterstood what John is saying. He is saying that what you are doing, effectively zooming the image so the edge of the image touches the border of the screen, is the standard thing to do, and not watch a film with a blanking border all the way round :)