1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS50 (or 51) - 6000:1 Contrast

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Speculation is beginning to build on the new Sony HS50 (or 51 depending on sources). The main talking point is the 6000:1 contrast ratio :eek:, which if true could blast LCD projectors back into the big-time. (A 6000:1 ratio would exceed ALL current home DLP pj's around at the moment!)

Even if the real-world contrast ratio is even half that then it would still be an absolute sensation. With problems like vb and shading now being addressed in service menus (see the TX100 for an example), it could well be that LCD's suddenly become very, very attractive. Price for this new wonder is being given as around £2300, quite a bargain if the contrast ratio is indeed at the very least triple that of current top-end lcds. Obviousy there are a lot of factors involved in buying a pj but I would bet that contrast (or lack of) is a major factor in folks favouring DLP over lcd, if contrast is no longer a hurdle for lcd I'd expect sales, certainly in the home cinema range to increase accordingly.

If nothing else, it may well drive DLP HD2+ prices down and also hasten the advent of affordable 3-chip DLP's and/or 1920x1080 HDx chips (can't have DLP being upstaged by lcd can we!).

The design of the HS50 is being touted as very flash with hints of the Qualia. Bear in mind this is all speculation at the moment but there have been a lot of tantilizing hints that the product is real - h opefully we'll see one in the flesh soon at CEDIA, should be a show-stopper! Nice to see Sony getting the jump on its rivals as well.

See the speculative info in full at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426248 .

Edit - thinking about it, 6000:1 contrast will make virtually every other home cinema lcd projector obsolete!
    Paul

2. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think the main watchword here is - speculation. Hopefully there will be info soon (and availability).

£2300 would be out of range of what I want to spend, so it potentially means I may well end up going for the HS20 at £1500 and a bit-ish.

£1800 is as far I'd want to stretch it.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The speculation you mention also includes some definitive posts indicating that the new Sony will be 1280x720, using Epson Panels. Given that the D5 panels are not expected to reach the market until next year, the issue of the D4 panels and VB is a concern. There is suggestion that the new Sony will use a fourth panel as an "active" iris to improve contrast - If this works out then we could be in for a treat.

The breakthroughs with the Hitachi Service Menu with adjustment for VB, uniformity/shading (17 zones !) and alignment are the really big news at the moment, I have to say that I'm quite tempted to re-visit a Hitachi demo again, witha laptop and a list of tweaks !!! I'd love to upgrade to 720 but will let the dust settle and see whether people are having good results from the Service Menu tweaks first.

Sean.

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The thing that really bugged me when seeing the TX100 in action was screen door (swinging things towards the HS20 for me) and I'm thinking this will be more apparent with this new lower resolution.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have to say that at 1.5x screenwidth I didn't think screendoor was an issue......

Sean G.

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    For me it kept popping up while demoing at nexnix. With HS20 the picture just looked smooth as soon as it was put in place.

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I've seen this as well on other LCD pj's - can be a right pain. Be interesting if Sony make use of something like the AEx00's smooth system.

I'd certainly bite if the contrast is real whether its D4 or D5 chips (although I'd wait to see a few real-world reviews first as it may well yet end up as "great contrast, unfixable VB, arrrghh!).

By the looks of things, what with this Sony contrast thing, the D5 chips and the forthcoming Eclipse pj enhancement, digital (both dlp & lcd) just keeps getting better and better. CRT inky blacks within 18 months? Sooner perhaps? I remember reading somewhere that something like 10000:1 contrast ratio would be well into mid-level crt territory (with anything above 5000:1 looking very good), looks like we could be above the half way point in a few short months.

Paul

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Well, describing it as Qualia like seems a bit of an exageration, more like a hip-flask. Still, it does look stylish - see thumbnail below filched from the link at the top of the thread.

Paul

Attached Files:

9. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    im guessing the contrast ratio has something to do with their new Black Screen technology...

pez

10. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Not clear about this yet Pez, it could be. On the other hand there has been no mention of this so quite likely the pj itself is 6000:1 with the Black Screen being used for pj's with less contrast.

Interesting idea though.
    Paul

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Can't see how you can get those contrast figures with LCD without some low level reinforcer such as the Eclipse ( additional LCD panel in the light path that holds back the lower intensities : you'd need a very softly dithered fall off zone to make it unobjectionable and you'd lose peak output as LCD is far from fully transparent , then again just put a brighter bulb in there ....and a big noisy fan and charge more money for the unit)

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

i think that was a joke :blush:

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hi Comer,
    Thing is, without the full press release we don't really know anything for sure. It may read "6000:1 contrast using new Black Screen"" i.e. the fine print at the bottom of the page that no ones seen yet.

Unlikely though, more speculation points towards an iris.
    Paul

14. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't think that the quoted contrast ratio has anything to do with the reported "Black Screen"....... It appears from posts elsewhere that the new Sony is likely to run with a fourth panel - I look forward to reading independent reviews of this when it comes out.

Sean.

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Same here, was contemplating purchasing a dlp fairly soon but will hold off for a while i think.

16. cashfan

cashfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait to see a LCD with 6000:1 CR.

HS10.com