Sony HS20 woes - now moving to HS50?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by redrocket, Nov 11, 2004.

1. redrocket

redrocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have really benefitted from the discussions on this bulletin board. This resulted in me getting my HS20 in July which connected to my HTPC looks superb. :thumbsup:

But now the downside:
    After about 150 hours and 2 months of ownership it went wrong. The dealer insisted on a repair rather than a swap out which I suppose is justifiable.
    With the repaired machine it lasted about 100 hours it went wrong again and went back to Sony again.
    Now it is back with me and . . . you guessed it, it has gone wrong again.
    My dealer (who I will keep anonymous) has been attentive throughout and delivered good service (notwithstanding they would not swap out the machine).

But here I am now, finally the dealer agrees that the machine should not be repaired further but they have no more HS20s available. They are offering an HS50 for an additional £100. Do I take it?

I note the HS50 does not have DVI connectivity. I spent a whole weekend routing the cables under the floor boards.
    It is worse resolution (1388 -> 1280)
    And being brand new it might be less reliable (Ohmigod! :eek: )
    It has the superb contrast but is not as bright which means I need even better light control in the room.

Your expert opinions are appreciated.

2. xaser1066

xaser1066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, from what I have read on this site (I am no expert) it sounds like a good deal. The HS50 has HDMI which I believe is a superset of DVI and you can buy a small conversion adapter cable. Also the resolution of 1280x720 is less but it is the High Def standard so no upscaling from these sources will be required - which means the picture will look crisper. The contrast of the HS50 is supposed to be fantastic but few people have seen it yet.

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    6000:1 contrast-

No scaling for standard HDTV sources

Lens shift

if you don't want to lose 1 DVI input for that lot, I'll give you my HS20- Around 120 hrs I think- and £200!

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    From what I hear about the HS50 on AVS and also from the ProjectorCentral review (if you haven't then I would!) , then I would snap your dealer's hand off for the offer he has made. I have an HS20 with absolutely nothing wrong, and if I were to have the deal you have then it would appear to be as close to a no-brainer as you'll get (are you listening Mr Dealer - you know who you are :D ). That is of course assuming you still want LCD etc., and assuming the early viewings that people have made are not wrong, but with statements like:

"This projector is capable of producing better blacks than any digital projector we've seen" (ProjectorCentral)

then the downside of LCD would appear to be largely eliminated. Don't forget also that although less pixels overall than the HS20, the resolution will enable 1:1 mapping from 720 sources, and so if you have one then you'll be a happy bunny. Go f'rit (just MHO of course :) )

5. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup...a no brainer!!! Don't look back! I'm sure plenty of people would love to have a similar deal! So is the dealer having to take the hit on the returned HS20 or will Sony?

6. redrocket

redrocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony must be crediting the dealer. I can't believe the dealer would swallow a £1500 loss.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +476
    And it just goes to show the pricing of the HS50 is similar to what the HS20 is going for.

You have to go for the deal he's offering you as you've got no other option anyway really. :suicide:

Still, there's absolutley nothing wrong with the HS20. It is an incredibly fine PJ HS50 or no HS50. Even the new Panny or Sanyo don't supercede it. That says a lot.