1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20: What size screen-100" or 115" ???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilbyJ5, May 19, 2004.

1. PhilbyJ5

PhilbyJ5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have settled on the Sony HS20 as my new projector and was hoping HS20 owners could tell me what sizes their screens are?

A 100" screen with give a more "punchy"/detailed image, but I really want to be wowed by a good size. Although I have a fully light controlled room, I am worried that a 115" screen might be pushing things in the brightness area (ie lbrightness loss towards the edges).

My room is 7.25m (23.5') x 5.3m (17.5') and have a seating position of 5m from the screen, so I feel the room can accomodate the larger screen if I want to go for it.

Most of the places around here sell ScreenTechnics screens - any comments?

I would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers,

Philby

2. terminal santa

terminal santa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't worry too much about a 115" screen, I currently have it on a 92" screen and it is amazing (running on the low lamp setting and iris closed) - very bright and detailed - even during the day when the room is badly light controlled, and the manual suggests it can comfortably go upto 300".

Have fun

terminal santa

3. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    i must also aggree with santa, and see no problem with the unit projecting an image of that size. but if you have worries on the brightness side of things then go for a high gain material.
    i have just received a carada fixed frame screen, i went for the 82 inch diagonal high contrast 0.8 gain material. my viewing position is about 13 feet from the screen(must say at this point, the screen is the muts nuts).
    so if you can accomadate a fixed screen check them out.
    best wishes and regards
    nick.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Be very weary of high gain materials in home cinema projection - they kill off your viewing angle and can give hotspots on the image. There is one high gain screen we supply that doesn't exhibit these problems but it is expensive and is solid laminate meaning it must be a fixed frame install (and is a pain in the :censored: to transport!!). It is also subjectively not as good as a circa 1 gain screen in proper black out conditions.

5. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    as liam says there are other factors to be thought about when choosing a high gain screen, i also forgot to mention that carada will also swap the screen material for you( if you decide you are not happy with it). you have thirty days from the day it arrived to do so. they do 1.4 1.0 and 0.8 gain. they are built in america and they shipped to england( so one would pressume that australia would be ok)... total cost including tax was £505 to my front door. another thing to bear in mind is that all there screens come with a velvet black border....alot of companies charge you extra for this..
    i hope this is of some help to you
    best wishes and regards
    nick