1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20 picture problem...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dodd, Dec 4, 2004.

1. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I hope someone can offer some advice with an ongoing problem I have been having with my HS20....

Roughly one third of the picture on the right hand side (the PJ is not ceiling mounted) is projected with a distinct yellow tint. Its not particularly subtle either - although I doubt if the missus would notice :rolleyes: .
    It has been a particular irritation with b/w movies where the problem is clearly visible and has become extremely annoying.

On colour pictures it is pretty easy to spot too...I was watching a Sergio Leone western the other day too and the blue sky was much "lighter" on the right hand side than on the other.

I have never noticed anything like this on any previous LCD PJs that I have owned (Z1, TW100) so this has got me stumped. I must admit this problem has put me off LCD PJs at the moment (although I know it shouldn't) as I did have a decent DLP but the missus found eye strain to be a problem. :thumbsdow

Any clues anyone?

I bought the PJ about 9 months ago and has about 250 hrs on the clock so it is within warranty which is obviously fortunate.

Many thanks,

Dodd

:hiya:

2. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...oops , forgot to mention.
    If I have the Iris function switched on the problem is hugely exaggerated - I think to some people it would become almost unwatchable.

Thanks again,

Dodd

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I may be wrong here, and I am sure somebody will correct me but it sounds like a colour uniformity problem. Could be that one or more of the LCD panels has warped due to overheating. I have a very slight similary problem with a panasonic AE100 with a touch of red staining. I have seen these anomylies on other projectors too.
    Azzo

4. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Azzo.
    It definitely does look to me that it could be something like that....fingers crossed it isn't though.

Cheers,

Dodd

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Mine does exactly the same thing too!

I only noticed this when I first watched Schindler's list about 4 weeks ago,
    so its probably always been there.
    I cannot see it during normal viewing, and now try not to look for it.

Its really only noticeable when watching black & white films where the aspect ratio is taller than approx 2:1.
    Most films I watch are 2.35:1 where the yellow/green area is not used.

The picture quality overall is still stunning, so unless someone wants to swap me for an HS50 (free of course!) then I'm in no rush to get rid of it.

6. dodd

dodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules,

Yes, it does sound like the same thing...very strange.
    I am kinda thinking of getting it looked at ...but I'm not really sure if I want to be without my PJ for the most probable month or so it would take for Sony to check it out. :(

My problem is that I have a large amount of b/w films in the standard 4:3 format - it is really noticeable with this aspect ratio - most of the time annoyingly so. It really seems that almost one half of the picture is black and white and the other half is black and yellowish white.

I agree with you though, asides from this problem the picture I get from this PJ is stunning.

I guess I really need to give this one some thought, but I shouldn't wait too long as the warranty will be expiring in 3 months...

I will keep you updated and if I do send it to Sony let you know what the problem is and the possible fix....

Cheers,

Dodd