1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20/Infocus 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by opieie, Feb 4, 2004.

1. opieie

opieie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys I know this question will be a tough one but I need to decide by tomorrow between the Infocus Screenplay 5700 and the Sony VPL-HS20 because I have found a local dealer for both to my surprise, which have given me very good prices for both but only for a limited time, I hope it's ok to tell you the prices as I will not be mentioning any dealer names and I think prices will be very relevent in this decision.

I can get the Sony HS20 for $2999.00 or the Infocus 5700 for $3600.00 the screen that will be used is a 119" DaLite High Power, seating distance is approx. 16' from the screen, I am not bothered by rainbows, screen door is modest concern since it really does not bother me unless it's just blatently obvious, use will be 60% DVD's using a Pioneer DV-563A progressive scan DVD player via the component output and 40% HDTV using a Motorola DCT5100 digital cable box also using component output, I have good light control but would really like to be able to watch it with a small lamp on in the back of the room it just makes it easier on the rest of the family to be able to see to get snacks or use the restroom etc.

So considering all of the parameters above what would the good folks here on the forum do in my situation, I would appreciate any input you have to offer and I hope I did'nt break any forum rules by telling the prices. I know this question is kind of vauge and very subjective but I would really like your opinions, unfortunately I can't demo either of these, both of the local dealers are custom installers and do not have showrooms.

Thank You in advance
    Ken

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You might want to try the US version of this forum (www.avsforum.com) as I think more people on their will have seen the Infocus 5700.

For me the choice would be easy. If you have no rainbow problems then it is DLP every time. You will find the image much smoother and more film like and the blacks are better.

The HS20 sounds like a good LCD, but it is still an LCD.

The 5700 is very bright, something you should consider with a screen that size and with quite a large amount of TV watching you may not always want to be in a completely darkened room so the 5700 would have an advantage.

Cheers
    Marc

3. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw the 5700 at Sevenoaks recently and while there were no rainbows (I see them easily) and the PJ was very bright, I was very distracted by the shimmery halo which follows any moving objects. Is this what some call motion dither? Anyway, that and the 576 line resolution were deal-breakers for me and I have an HS-20 on order.

4. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I agree with Marc. I used to have a panasonic PTAE100, and traded up to the Infocus 5700. The difference is so large even my wife noticed it!!
    I have never seen halos on moving objects and can only assume that Matt saw a poorly set up example.
    Rainbows do not particularly affect me, and whilst I can see them if I look hard( and look quickly from pJ to screen, they simply don't spoil enjoyment of the film.
    IMO DLP is more filmic than LCD and the image has far more depth.
    The 5700 is v bright, and is quite suitable for rooms with some ambient light, or with lights on at rear. It never seems too bright however, even with all lights off. And the colours WOW.
    I assume the prices you quote include an electric screen, as otherwise they are above RRP
    LOL
    Peter

5. opieie

opieie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,s, as far as prices I thought both of these prices were at least 5% below normal street pricing and actually 10% lower than I could find anywhere even through mailorder I assume you know we are talking about American dollars

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have no idea what the dollar prices are of these models, but I do know if we could get them here with those prices with the current exchange rate they would be very popular.

Currently the pound is very strong against the dollar.

Cheers
    Marc

7. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Whoops!!
    Sorry missed the $ sign and assumed £
    Quite right, good prices, both a steal!!
    Peter

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ProjectorCentral just got round to posting their review of the HS20 if you're interested.