1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20 has arrived...and i got a ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vicbarry, Jan 26, 2004.

1. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey all. Firstly id like to say a big thank you for everyones replies. My Sony HS20 finally arrived today. Take a lookhere

Man is this PJ bright. My mouth was hitting the floor for the first few minutes of watching episode 2 and then finding nemo. Seriously impressed.

But one thing seems strange. When i insert the memory stick into its slot nothing happens. It just says NO MEMORY STICK. Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening......

Thanks gang

2. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Memory stick working now. wrong way around..DOH!!!!!

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to say too.... ;)

Welcome to the HS20 club! Now if only I could get something other then a bed sheet to project on! (Screen delayed *another* week at least :( ).

4. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ailean.. i have mine shooting at a white formika DIY screen at its very impressive.

5. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well i have clocked up about 4 hours on it now. All i can say is WOW WOW WOW. Hooked up my sky digital via composite, quite acceptable to watch. Playstation2 via composite as well. Picot2 via SVid amazing as is the component from my 725.

Just put in Toy Story 2 and Shrek. Jumping jeesssusss. Very 3d like.

All told i did have to pay customs. Final price was €2850, from Price Japan, which was one of the cheapest i found. I would definitely do business with them again.

I have yet to tweak the PJ to any extent. AVIA will be on my purchase list soon. Any one got their settings??? I have noticed slight edge enhancemet on occasion with a little halo, but again very slight.

The one thing i was dissappointed with (not a lot mind) was the throw distance. My old hitachi cps 220 did have a bigger throw. But i knew the HS20 was going to do this anyway. I have managed a 72" image from about 8ft back. I should be gaining another foot or 2 in the new house so that will help no end.

For anyone that is having any doubts about this PJ, forget it. Take the plunge, id be amazed if someone was disappointed. My only other problem now is im expecting my credit card bill to be delivered by armed guard.

6. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've just sold my Seleco CRT and am defecting to LCD... The HS20 looks like a top pj, though I really am torn between that and the Panny AE500.

Has anybody compared both for a like for like comparison?

Also, what does Graded mean?

http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/robertwhyteproduct.php?ID=322

TIA

Andy

7. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    What Robert Whyte told me:

Graded means that the unit failed quality control at some point and was re-worked if/where necessary. So any significant problems discovered will have been fixed, but might there might be a scuff mark on the casing. Up to a year ago, this stuff was being sold as brand new (!). New EU regulation has stopped this, so in effect, we can get "brand new" goods for dirt cheap prices. Full warranty is supplied with these babies...

I was going to buy a Panny AE300 from them, but they only arrive in dribs and drabs when units fail QC in production. In the end, I ordered a brand new one from Komplett for not much more cash anyway.

8. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    As far as I was aware, a "Graded" product could also be an item that has been returned by a consumer and repaired and repackaged by the manufacturer and resold via the same or a different retailer.

There can be A, B or C grades, depending on condition and the original fault.

9. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vic I have to say the HS20 is very well setup out of the box. I only had to adjust brightness really for my 'screen' and lighting conditions. Colours were dead on. I did try hard to tweak more stuff but I couldn't really improve much. :)

The throw is about the only issue here too, I have plenty of room it's just the cable lengths get tricky.

10. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    currently on 457 hours on my hs20, love every min of using it.
    everything is set as it came out of the box, didn't need alter a thing. upgraded from an hs10. this machine has LOVELY (much better than the hs10) colour rendition, nice whites, nice blacks. ok....yes i have a blue open pixel but just can't see it and believe me i am a fussy sod, have slight vertical banding but again can't see it from normal viewing distance, also the convergance issue that seems to be an issue with ALL of these pup's but having seen many different projectors i believe this is an issue with ALL lcd projectors but i don't see it as a problem UNLESS you can see it from normal viewing distance. And anyone that gets the lamp flicker that has been mentioned, try putting the lamp to high for a few seconds and then putting it back to low, most of the time it will go on its own, but this seems a way to get rid of it quicker. to be honest it's something you will probably only notice on a windows desktop and i think you will find this issue with most projectors at some stage,(if you look for it hard enough). i run through a HTPC and see it on occassions, but i think it's caused by the lamp burning in. also i run in high altitude mode to speed the fan up, as this will prolong the life of the optics imo, as they tend to yellow with use.. not quite sure if this is down to heat or extended ultra violet exposure on the blue polariser. this will especially be the case if like me you use for prolonged use, (7 to 10 hours) at a time.
    if your thinking about getting a projector get this. you will love it. a friend of mine was recently looking for a projector, he saw my hs20 in action (pixel mapped on an 8' screen)and after looking around he said that nothing came close, he said he had even looked at an £8000 machine and that my hs20 blew it out of the water. so there you go what more could you want from a £2k projector. luv it, luv it, luv it.....

and NO i don't work for sony, i just really believe this machine is SUPERB value for money and don't mind shouting about it........

all the best...Splice. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

oh and welcome to the club "vicbarry"

11. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ailean , Splice i feel the same as you. I dont think (maybe i dont know) you can improve the pic significantly. Maybe black levels to a degree but i find the cinema mode to be rockin'. Ailean for the cables, maybe get some custom ones built or maybe the IFU-HS1 box might help out a bit. When i get into the new house i plan to ceiling mount and run the cabling through the ceiling into my rack room which would be about 2 ft behind the PJ.

Yeah Splice, im just about to leave work right now and cant wait to get home to it. Im really excited with it and am falling head over heels in love. Thrilled at being in da club.

12. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Leaving work at 12.16PM to go home and play with a projector...and I though I was dedicated:D

Congrads on your new purchase Vic, that was a really good price so enjoy:smashin:

Conor

13. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    someones gotta do it. i work in radio so i dont finish my show till 12am. man am i tired this morning. up half the night when i got home with the HS20. I even wanted to take it to bed...hang on.....hmmmm.....never mind that last bit :)

14. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I know someone who works in radio in Cork. His first name is Emmett

15. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Doesnt ring a bell. I work in red fm, so now the world knows.....

16. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on my working days i Work as a projectionist (HONEST) anyway i get home around midnight and then on go's my hs20, you would have thought i'd had enough of projectors wouldn't you. I tend to surf the net with it or relax with some music With some swirly hypnotic visuals running on my 8' screen.... hey It's the modern way, far better than counting sheep you know. on my nights off then on go's the movies. i wait for the dvd to be released most of the time (don't get the chance to see them at work, contrary to popular belief) mainly due to running multiple screens on me tod.:rolleyes: besides, if i watched them i wouldn't want to buy the disc and enjoy it on the hs20... would i.
    plus with the home cinema you have that great function called PAUSE that can be used for those unforseen situations, i.e need a beer, trip to the loo, argument with the wife etc etc etc. :D
    i know i will get through the lamps quicker. but why not enjoy the piece of kit you have just spent a right arm on.....

all the best....Splice;)

A happy hs20 owner............So far.:laugh:

17. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Splice, are you running this from your HCPC using a 1:1 pixel mapped DVI connection? I've got a year old AE100 and have just built a HCPC to drive it. Although the picture has improved I can't help wondering what I'd see on a better projector using DVI rather than VGA?

Cheers

Simon

18. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi simon, yes i am running 1:1 pixel mapped through dvi, and i also had ae100 running the same way, but through vga. As far as the difference between the two, it's night and day :eek: . obviously the improvment that you are getting through the dvi is difficult to assess as the resolution of the hs20 is so much higher. but i can assure you, if you do get an hs20 you won't be dissapointed. one thing though, don't know what spek your pc is but because of the higher resolution, a better spek pc may be in order to keep everything running smooth. although mine is only a 2.4 xp athlon, ati 7500 graphics with dvi out, 1 gig mem,digifire sound card with spdif out... runs very smoothly (bet i will regret saying that).

good luck with your choises.

all the best........Splice

:smashin:

19. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info Splice. I've got a P4 2.6GHz ( 833Mhz bus ) 512MB memory, a 128MB nVidea FX5200 with VGA,TV and DVI out and a £20 Trust soundcard giving S/PDIF out. As I said I'm very happy at the moment but always keeping an eye open for the next upgrade.

I'm running with a ( I think ) 848x486 desktop at the moment to give 1:1 mapping and it's fine, however I could try a higher resolution to see if it copes... I guess the worst case is to by a Radeon based graphics card so that I get some hardware MPEG-2 decoding?

One other thing, are these babies bright enough to run with some background light on in the room?

Cheers

Simon

20. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon, there has been known issues with doing 1:1 using a Nvidea card. The problem is you have to override the automatic timing of the DVI signal to go beyond 1024x768, appently the Nvidea drivers don't allow you to do this at the moment. It took me a bit of fiddeling with powerstrip to get it working on my ati9700pro.

I find if the lights are behind me brightness is okay with low levels, if they're between you and the screen it washes out the blacks too much.

21. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon, yes you can have some low level light on, as the picture is plenty bright, especially with the iris open and lamp on high. however remember though if you put the lamp to high it trims a third off the lamp life. mind you just opening the iris would shed a bright enough picture if you just have, say a lamp on. remember though that ANY light will wash out your blacks on all projectors.

all the best........Splice ;)

22. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    im using the low lamp mode gang and the difference between high and low isnt that noticeable. keep it low :)

23. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume folks running the HS20 on DVI at 1:1 are talking about 1368 x 768 at 56Hz.

As aileen said, it takes a bit of messing in Powerstrip to do it.

One thing I've yet to manage is to pursuade an Unreal engined game to run at this res/rate. Each time I run up UT2003, it switches over to 1024x768 at 60Hz. It would appear that the game checks to see what 60Hz modes are available in the raw monitor profile.

I did manage to get the game to run at 1280 x 720 at 60Hz, by switching the HS20 into "Video" mode, running up the game, then changing back to "Computer" mode. The HS20 presents different monitor profiles in the two different modes, strange but true.

If anyone has found a workaround to this I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers

Martyn