1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20 - Full through

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vicbarry, Jan 29, 2004.

1. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After having the HS20 for a few days now (and i was at work for most of it :( ) im awaiting my copy of AVIA to arrive. My question here is about the full through mode, selected when you press the wide button.

Even though it shrinks the screen by at least half if not more, the image quality looks ever sharper and crisper. Obviously when you go back to normal mode it doesnt look as good as that. If i connected my PC via DVI and use the full through mode would the image quality improve much and would the full through mode fill the frame. Come to think of it, what is one to one mapping. Any ideas anyone. The manual doesnt seem to be a great help. I didnt think it was possible to improve the picture quality that much. BTW im using the component connections on the PJ multi cable.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Explanation of 1:1 pixel mapping is in the FAQ....... using 1:1 via DVI will change your mind about being able to improve the picture - if you're feeding the projector an interlaced picture via comonent (I can't remember exactly, but I tought you mentioned a Sony 725 in one of your other posts ? excuse if I've got it wrong.....) then the difference using 1:1 mapping via DVI will show what the projector is really capable of.

Do a search for Kramer's posts on 1:1 mapping with the HS10 - it should be the same process. I'm fairly sure Comer's doe the same, as have others. For fun I recently tried prog scan from a dvd player into my AE100 (obviously the Sonys are in a different league, so not suggesting any like-forl-like comparison) just to see what it was like.......... compared to hcpc I thought it was pants..... I know that there are members who do not consider that the benefits in picture quality terms warrant the use of a pc, but you should try it out and make up your own mind. I've seen SKY digital captured through a capture card and run through Dscaler running throuh Kramers HS10..................... has to be seen to be believed, I'm not joking.

Have fun with you new toy...................

Sean G.

3. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Sean G. Appreciate your time. Thats cleared up a few things. Trying to get hold of a Dvi cable right now from a mate. Will give it a try later on.

4. Joeki

Joeki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in finding out more about this too. My Pc is too far away from my HS20, but could I use something else to get DVI? Also would the full through image fill the screen without having to use the zoom, because I cannot get it to fill the screen with that on full through and do not want to move the PJ from the ceiling.

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Someone correct me on this please if I'm wrong but I thought that using the through mode on the HS10 is bypassing the scaler and that,s why the picture q is so much better. If you want the image to fill the screen than it has to be scaled hence to ask can the the through image be made to fill the screen contains a contradiction

Apart from the benifits of sharper image u get from a HTPC I also find that shadow detail is greatly, and I mean greatly improved from my old Sammy 709 DVD player to the HTPC with the one drawback on slight judder noticable very seldom on slow pans using the PC. This is because of the required refresh rate of 56hrz that the HS10 needs to run at.

I never got any joy from dscaler and sky. No matter what I tried i kept getting dropped frames. Perhaps my P4 1.4 is not powerful enough.

Conor

6. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    right, i got that dvi cable last night. It did make a difference. I was using power dvd with a geforce 4200 with DVi out. While the geforce was telling me my monitor (hs20) was able to display its full panel res i couldnt get it past 800 x 600 on my settings. is this what i would need powerstrip for (i dont have it). Is there an easy 5 step guide to this somewhere. i had the hs20 on DVI computer and DVI Video GBR. which is the correct one to use? i have seen the light, but now i need a bit of guidance. Help....

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Z2 not an HS20 but getting 1:1 mapping is as much a black art with the Sanyo as the Sony. ;)

Basically the projector is telling the video drivers its' resolution but Windows thinks it knows better :( .. that's where Powerstrip comes in, it forces Windows to offer the resolution YOU want rather than what Windows THINKS you want. :)

There are two flavours of DVI .. DVI-D which is purely digital and DVI-I which also includes an analog connection. For PC use you want DVI-D, ie. a digital connection, I presume that's what the HS20 means by 'DVI Computer'.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Vic,

Have a look at this thread - the timings for HS10 are listed there. D/L Powerstrip, set up a custome resolution using the timings (explicit instructions for doing this are in a post by Hoglet refering to AE100 (do a search for it) Some Nvidia cards have probs with custom resolutions - you'll just have to try it and see.

Sean G.

9. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From postings you should at least be able to get 1024x768 and with luck 1280x720. The magic 1388x788@56hz can be tricky and many report impossible on some Nvidea cards. Took me a couple of hours with powerstrip and various printed posting for tips, but then I've never found powerstrip very straight forward. ;)

Lucky for me that box had an ATI card.

You should use the computer setting, the HS20 only has DVI-D input, the video setting tends to activate more scaling by default.

10. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Starting to get somewhere, almost. Hopefully later on today i should have this done. ; ) jus waiting on an e mail......

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    vic,

You have email.......

Sean.

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    vic,

you have another email........;)

Sean.

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC, 1366x768 is impossible on most, if not all nVidia cards. Might be doable now (new drivers etc.) but I'd still recommend an ATI card (better pic too).

All other necessary info is contained in this thread (& included links - what a helpful bunch :clap: ).

Best of luck :)

Kramer contemplates a trip to Cork in the near future.........

14. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks gang, apprecaite all the replies. Looks like ill be getting an Ati card then. Any suggestions. Dont want to spend more than €100 if possible.

Kramer, give me a shout if your coming to cork.

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    vic,

Marx computers have a Radeon 9200 for €70 at the mo...... cheaper than Komplett (not by much, tho'). check it out
    here.. . Kompletts is here

Sean G.

16. vicbarry

vicbarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    cheers sean

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    vic,

np..... tbh any radeon will do you or dvd playback...... fanless best for no noise....

Sean G.