1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS20 / Arcam DV79 help needed

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by docfeelgood, Jun 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there anyone out there who has this combination and are using HDMI as the connection to the HS20.

It seems that my DV79 and HS20 are not communicating with each other correctly via HDMI.

When the 'ouput priority' in the DV79 menu is set to HDMI/DVI the DV79 should recieve information from the HS20 and configure itself relevant to the abilities of the projector (I believe this is called a 'digital handshake'!) i.e 'plug and play'.

So, I believe, the DV79 should turn PAL/NTSC progressive scan on, or at least allow the options to turn either NTSC p-scan, PAL P-scan or both from the menu.

My DV79 defaults to interlaced ouput, selects NTSC as the TV type and only allows NTSC progressive scan from the menu.
    You can then change the TV type to PAL and it then allows PAL PS. But it does not allow you select both.

To get round this I have to change the output priority to 'analogue' (in this mode it does not 'talk' to the display device). The progressive scan sub menu then allows me to select 'on' which effectively enables both NTSC and PAL progressive (it will select one dependant on disc region).

This is okay.... but it kinda defeats the point of so-called HDMI 'plug and play'.

It is not a fault with the DV79 ... as I have tried another unit... it is also not a fault with the HDMI cable.

It is either the HS20 or the HDMI software in the HS20 or DV79.

Does anyone have this set-up and have/not have this problem?

Can anyone else offer an opinion on this or the HDMI 'digital handshake' in general?

:confused:

Best regards and thanks in advance

:)

Doc

2. Oliveira

Oliveira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i know the HDMI only work with DVI using HDCP protocol. Maybe the sony DVI connection doesn´t answer to this protocol.

3. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Oliveira.

My Sony is connected to the DV79 via HDMI and not DVI.

So it's not a DVI/HDCP problem.

regards
    Doc

4. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS20 has a fault in its EDID. This is a table listing the picture resolutions that are supported by the display. The DVD player reads this and then configures itslef accordingly to ensure the transmitted picture is always supported by the display. The HS20 supports 480p, 480i, 576p and 576i (ie all modes of DV79) but its EDID is missing some of these.
    To get around the problem you just need to set 'priority' to 'analogue'.
    Pete

5. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one!

Talk about nailing the problem right on the head :) Answers don't get much more comprehensive or clear cut than that!

Just out of curiousity... can the EDID table on the HS20 be updated to include the missing modes?

thanks again Pete :)

P.s. are you an Arcam DV79 engineer ?

best regards

DF.

6. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Talk about good timing i am just about to purchase a DV79 to partner my Sony HS20 so if i set set Priority to Analogue does this mean that the signal from the DV79 is now analogue ?

thanks

sanjuro

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    No it doesn't Sanjuro - it is just a way to allow the player's owner to override the E-EDIDs in downstream devices or to otherwise choose the exact nature of digital video output you want.

Enjoy your new set up and let us all know what you think of it.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah.. maybe the menu option 'analogue' is a bit misleading when you have the player connected via HDMI.

But It literally allows you to force the DV79 into a mode regardless of what the display accepts.
    Still outputs exactly the same digital signal tho.
    Mine is set to 'on' - which means Pal or NTSC progressive... depending on the disc.

I can recommend the DV79 Sanjuro..... it's a very good all-rounder. :thumbsup:

I set mine up via HDMI at the weekend and am very pleased with picture quaility and cd replay quality.

regards
    DF

9. sanjuro

sanjuro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply's i am picking mine up on friday along with the AV300 amp so i am in for a busy weekend :)

sanjuro

10. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what everyone with HDMI will have to implement as an option in their players. Only it should be called "E-EDID Off" or simmilar