1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS10 right hand fan has problem PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Meridius, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi all

Had my sony hs10 projector for 1 month now and theres a problem.

when looking at the front and the projector not mounted upside down (The Intake Fan) the right side has a wineing noise from it
    it never used to do this.

when you turn the projector on it takes about 4 sec before it starts to make a hissing wineing noise it never did this for the first week after that it did it for 1 to 2 min then it stoped but now its doing it all the time.

I have tried the projector at diffrent angles and upsidedown but still the same, but heres the thing when you turn the projector off the fans still spin for 1 min to cool it down it do`s not do this sound at this stage only when the projector has the light on it do`s it so

the only thing i can think off is that it might be somthing behind the fan thats making the sound or when you turn the projector off the intake fan must slow down abit but still spins and do`s not make the sound .

was woundering any hs10 owners have the same problem can you check it its the intake fan at the front
    please let me know dont know what to do

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My suggestions would be (in order of preference)

1. Take it back and get it repaired under warranty.

2. Open the case (thus voiding your warranty though) and see if the fan bearings are worn. It may be that a spot of PTFE lubricant in the bearing sleeve will stop the noise.

3. Identify and replace the fan with a quieter replacement.

However, if you have a warranty and aren't au fait with electronics I would recommend you get it repaired :)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Impossible to see "wear" on fan bearings :eek:

Lubricant is NOT advisable. These fans have "dry" bearings & are designed to run for life. Lubricant can & WILL reduce the life of these bearings.

AFAIK, there are 4 fans in the HS10, but NONE of the "intake" fans are on the front - just an exhaust fan.

My advice - is the room now warmer than it was before??? as the HS10 is noticeably louder in a very warm environment.

Try blowing cold air over the unit in operation from say a 12" desktop fan, about three or four feet away (low/medium power).

If it's not the automatic "speeding up" of the fans due to increased temps, you may have a dicky fan - get it replaced. The HS10 is far too clever a unit for "I'll replace the standard fan myself".

Trust me - I'm a doctor ;)

Best of luck.

4. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Kramer you said

AFAIK, there are 4 fans in the HS10, but NONE of the "intake" fans are on the front - just an exhaust fan.

this is wroung the box states that the left hand side fan is the exit
    and the right hand fan is the intake look in the sony book it tells you also you say it might be the heat of my room dought it becasue i had another projector the hs1 and had no problems with that also the fans still run when i turn it off and the sound is gone ??????? if you look at my last post it did this for 1 min then went off then its on all the time now theres somthing wroung somewere

so its a weried one dont know if it is the fan or somtning behind it
    but even so he fans should last longer than the bulb at least

phoned them abd thya say that thay will replace it onw thay have seen what i`m on about