1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS10 question....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rjs1974, Jan 6, 2003.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am keen to purchase one of these, but have some questions re: connectivity.

I have no desire to connect a PC to it, JUST a DVD player and a Pace Free To Air Digibox.

Can I use component cables for both? Or do I need S-Video for the digibox.

Please advise folks!

Also, can you buy a 16:9 screen which can be free-standing on a tripod/legs rather than screwed into the wall? And is a grey one better than white?

Cheers!

2. NJS

NJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use component if the digibox and DVD supports it. S-Video is ok and is probably next best after DVI, and componant.

Yes you can, that how mine is used because the wife did'nt want me to ruin the look of the ceiling. I got mine from http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/screen.html Good service and about 250 quid for a matt white 96 inch screen. Grey is supposedly better for the HS10, but to be honest it's best to try it out first(on some thick painted card for example) to see what suits you.

3. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know what connection options a PACE digibox offers?

What exactly is DVI? Is that for connecting primarily to a PC?

4. NJS

NJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI is an alternative connection method to VGA, and yes it's used primarily on computers. Most Radeon cards and some top end Geforce cards have it. The HS10 uses DVI-D, as opposed to DVI-I(and no I'm not 100% sure on the difference, only that you have to use the one that matches)

I'm not sure you can get the VGA adapter cable for the HS10 yet, so if you want to use the full resolution of the projector and do all kinds of nifty stuff like 1:1 mapping where 1 HS10 pixel maps onto 1 PC pixel thus vastly improving image quality.

1:1 is tricky to setup though.

I'm not sure what the PACE connections have, on my PACE NTL box only has composite and Svideo. You may be better off connecting it via the Video(if you have one) that way you can watch both Video and cable through the same input and therefore not have to worry about swapping the cables round.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    DVD-I carries both analogue and digital signals as opposed to DVD-D which only carries Digital. I found this out after spending half an hour trying to work out why my VGA-DVI-I adaptor wouldn't fit the damn HS-10.:D
    Also there is a VGA cable for HS-10, it has HD15 (VGA) one end goes into a PJ Multi connector which is specific for the HS projectors (HS1/2/10). It isn't cheap though, I've been quoted up to £120 just for the cable..
    :)