1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS10 or HS20

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Been reading these forums for some time now, but still not quite built up the courage to actually BUY a projector.... Well that's not exactly fair. I've needed somewhere suitable to put one, and someone who is also happy for me to put one in situ as well (Woman!!!!) he he..........

Also, models seem to be getting cheaper (and better) all the time.

Trouble is, and I guess I'm not alone here, my budget seems to keep growing.

I look at one projector and it's ok, but for just a few £100 more, there's this better one, and so on and so on etc etc...

I had a Demo of the Sanyo Z1 a few weeks ago, and apart from the colour being (shall we say) too strong I was very impressed (I'm sure I could turn down the colours a bit)

However, I'm going to have to view the image quite close (due to room sizes, and reding on here the Sony HS10 is getting rave reviews, both for it's image quality, but also it's lack of screendoor, which (sitting close) will be a major issue.

From the wall I'm thinking of mounting it on, I'd be looking at projecting at about 8 feet wide.... BIG..... :)

Anyhow... Been looking at prices.. The official Sony Center wants £2500 !!! whilst mail order with pixel check seems to be £2000

Still a lot more than a Z1 though.......

Also the HS20 is coming soon.

So a few questions:

1: What are the main differences between a HS10 and the replacement HS20 model ?

2: Do we have prices of the HS20 yet ?

3: Will the HS10 drop more in price when the HS20 is around, or have we bottomed out now ?

4: I assume the HS10 now has had a LOT of it's intial bugs ironed out yet. I'd be worried the NEW HS20 will start of with a whole fresh batch of early day bugs of it's own....

5: If I was to mount a HS10 upside down, where does it have to be in relation to screen position (level with top of screen) or what to avoid keystone correction ?

Thanks for any answers to any of the above.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Position: just below (maybe 10cm) the top of the viewable area of the screen (inverted with 16/9 screen).

Sony's don't seem to "drop" prices like Panasonic so I'd say it's unlikely to drop far below £2k (if at all).

HS20 should be similiarly priced but won't be available in the UK "officially" until early next year (IMO).

Similiar specs to the HS10 with increased brightness, CR. Indications are it'll be quieter too. Other various improvements - MLA, Iris, HDMI.

Recent threads on the HS20 will yield more information. Search link top right of the page.

Starter for you anyway.

:smoke:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Check recent price changes to the VW12HT...................

Brand loyalty doesn't mean much when market economics come into play........ In USA HS20 is already advertised at a discount from RRP. However, It would appear that Sony may wait for existing stocks of HS10 to "clear" the system before introducing the HS20.

Tempest,

You say you're going for an 8' screen, how far away will you be sitting from it ? Resolution(with which the HS10 is amply endowed) isn't the whole story - colour performance esp. black levels and shadow detail performance are also pertinent issues, HS20 should be a better bet for that, or DLP.

Wouldn't be so sure of that...........Do a search for recent posts on this issue by Comer.................

There's a couple of new 1280x720 projectors coming to market in your price range, AE500, Z2, if you've been mulling this over for a while, it would be worth waiting another couple of weeks, demoíng some of the new crop, and making a choice informed by seeing them yourself.

If your budget can stand it, consider the NEC HT1000 - probably nothing to touch it in the market at twice the price !!

Good luck choosing,

Sean G.

4. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thank's for replies so far.......
    Well, (using the calculator) for the HS10 lens I will (as I said) get an 8 foot image.
    Sitting distance (could) be a long way away, but realistically about 12 feet which you're going to say is way too close !!!

I don't want to mount ot on the ceiling as:

1: It would be too high to avoid keystone correction

2: It's above a kids bedroom and they stamp on their floor which jarrs the ceiling, and I don't want my 2K projector jarred by two little kids.

As for waiting, well I can wait some more, but I seem to be always waiting......... Got to jump some time :)

Regards Budget, well, £1000 ish was a budget, then it was around £1500, now it's nearing £2000..............

Tempted to go Z1 cheap and chearfull and watch everone else buy the big stuff and just enjoy a bargain........

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Seating distance of 1.5x screen width, you should be fine.

Sean G.

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I hope so, well, that's one reason why I fancy the higher res of the H10 Sony...

My 12 foot distance will be a sort of maximum (where the chairs can be moved to) distance, and others (kids) may well be seating easily 1x viewing distance. But I recalll reading the grain structure is almost unoticable even right up close, so I guess that's would be where my few £100 more will be spent for.

Just wondering how BRIGHT the image will be at 8 foot wide.

7. chuenmanc

chuenmanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Thank's for that.........
    Look forward to the 1st post to compair the two side by side, and if the new one is £450 better

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,031
    There's always the new Sanyo PLV-Z2 to consider, should be about £1500 and looks very interesting!

Cheers
    Andy

10. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Yeah........... I was wondering though if the Sony H10 and H20 were both one step up the league latter than the Z2 and the Panny 500 which are coming soon....

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope the Z2 is as good as the specs suggest - if not there'll be loads of unhappy peeps around here :zonked:

12. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Yeah, but I know specs and performance don't always go hand in hand........

Are the specs of the Z2 in the same area as the H20 ?

I'm particulally impressed by what I've read by the H10 and H20's lack of screen door effect.

13. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Indeed I have an email from Avland stating they are expecting stock in the next couple of weeks, anybody care to comment ?

HEADRAT

14. richieb1971

richieb1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'ed a HS10 2 days ago in a semi dark room, it was not completely dark as light was coming from the rear. All I can say is that the picture was pretty good, it was brighter than I imagined it to be. In fact it was so bright at 106" that I see no problem for you at 8 feet.

I'd say it was on par with normal TV.

15. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just watched the Bathurst 1000 - a V8 motor race heare in Australia with plenty of ambient light (it's Spring) and couldn't be happier with the HS10.

At night in a dark room the pq is AWESOME even with just the CC20R (Cinema Filter) fitted).

16. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PriceJapan are stating the release date of the HS20 as the 5th Nov.

£1790 plus VAT. Nice.

Sorely tempted.