1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony hs10 false start problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by johnkay, Oct 3, 2003.

1. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my hs10 pj for 9 months with 250 hours on lamp. Normally I unplug the pj from the mains when not in use,and plug it into the mains when needed. But recently on 4 different occassions the pj has failed to start up, when I have plugged it into the mains and switched it on. the yellow led (lamp/cover) flashes and if I unplug from the mains and plug back in it then starts up. I think the problem is caused if I leave the mains on for a few minutes before pressing the on button, but if I press the start button as soon as I have plugged it into the mains, the pj starts up ok.
    My question is should I contact Sony and have the problem looked at by them bearing in mind my 1 year guarantee will soon end, or do i just ignore it because, I think others who have also had this problem, have not found a solution.
    Any suggestions please.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's no correlation between leaving the PJ on "standby" & false starts. My HS10's been pretty much connected to the supply from day one nearly 10 months ago now.

It started it's "antics" at maybe 300 hours (like yours :eek:) with the occassional false start, rising to 2 or 3 out of 5 being "false". Always started on the 2nd attempt (without unplugging). Gradually improved & I think its last false start was maybe 6 months ago.

Warranty nearly up? Then perhaps it's better to have Sony check it out - should get a new lamp at least, although that doesn't seem to have cured Comer's problem.

Chances are it'll subside over time, but IMO a call to Sony would be warranted.

Best of luck :)

3. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Could anyone suggest which Sony to contact? I rang numerous numbers when I got my HS10 in March to register it. No-one interested and I have since tried to find who I send it to to service. Thinking of sending it in before guarantee expires, false start etc. I am in England...
    Thanks

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Actually it did solve my problem but created a totally new one also. In three hundred hours I have never had a refusal to start with my first lamp. Since installing the new lamp I have had two in 40 hours, both when I used the power button on the projector and not the power button on the remote (i'm sure that means nothing.) I am worried about the chances of this projector lasting me my planned five years.:(

Oh well, it could be worse, at least the picture quality is still brill:clap:

Conor

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5 years :eek: Gees, I reckon in 5 years we'll be saying "how did we every watch such pap? That HS10 was one heap of sh**e!" :)

Seriously, given the state of "advance" in front projection recently, a 5 year lifespan seems unrealistic.

Sorry to hear you're still having problems Comer, but if it's any consolation, you're not the only one :(

:smoke:

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I agree, but for most people it's not really on to keep forking out a couple of thousand Euro on a "Big TV" every one or two years. You have to let let sanity come back into your life at some stage:D

Conor

7. johnkay

johnkay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer, I might give Sony a call, but it seems you took the risk and the problem has cleared, I am tempted to do likewise, rather than send the pj away. Also I agree with Comer that I do not think I will be able to change the pj every 2 years, infact I think I will try & keep it for as long as possible(10+years?).
    My 33" tv is 8 years old & gives a great picture although it is not widescreen, but if it breaks down now I might change it.

Comer how did you manage to get a new lamp, did you have to send the pj away or did they send you a lamp and you fitted it yourself?

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i hope this sorts itself for you, i can imahine that this is really annoying. I guess im very lucky in that my projector has been well behaved (touch wood).

I have had mine 2 years, it already looks extremely long in the tooth.... in 5 years you would expect budget to mean full HD panels with contrast bettering the NEC.... somehow i doubt even the good machines today will compete....

ad