1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony hs10 convergence problems?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rkb, Nov 6, 2003.

1. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi- my first post- just purchased HS10- unluckily had two in past 10days- both with faults. 2nd one was the "lamp/cover" light on and refusing to switch on- as descibed in earlier threads.

My question relates to what I believe is a "convergence fault on both examples of the projector i had. When using the on-screen graphic for lens zoom/focus, "+" symbols are displayed in each corner of the sreen and the middle.

The middle "+" was perfectly focussed- as were those on the right of the screen, however those on the left (top and bottom" showed classic convergence errors with red and green borders to the white crosses.

Has any projector owners (HS10 or otherwise) had a similar experience? I had thought pj's were supposed to be free of convergence issues- or have I been reading too many magazines?!

I also have a toshiba 46inch rear projection TV which regularly gets tweaked using the service menus- so I do have some experience in spotting and dealing with convergence problems.

I don't know whether to continue with a third HS10 :confused: or get a refund and look at other pj's.

Any feedback would be very helpful...

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Very few LCD PJs have absolutely perfect convergence. 3 individual panels are used for R, G & B. While the panels may be perfectly "aligned", chances are that the panels themselves aren't identical (we're talking hundreths of a milimeter here).

How bad is the misconvergence? If it's only visible on the outside edge of the crosshair (green'ish edge etc..) I'd say it's within spec.

If I press my nose against the screen with text displayed I can see a problem with my HS10 on one side, but it's not visible from seating distance (or even half/quarter seating distance).

All depends on how bad it is, but not uncommon.

HTH.

:smoke:

3. rkb

rkb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the swift reply,Kramer.

misconvergence on "crosshairs" has green and red edges- quite obvious when close to screen and still visible from about 5feet.

not visible when I'm viewing from regular position about 15 feet on a temporary screen about 7ft wide. Although not obvious from this distance, I was concerned that if I use the pj in another room for games etc at much closer distances that i would regret having put up with a pj that might be faulty.

I am heartened by your reply and will likely go with my third HS10 in as many weeks ,
    Thanks.