1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS10 cables?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rjs1974, Jan 10, 2003.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Am hoping to order an HS10 today, but have no idea what cables I need. I want to connect up my Sony DVD player, so I guess I need a component lead?

What exactly do I need and where can I order one from?

Thanks all.

If I wanted to hook up a PACE digibox, would I need to use S-Video or composite?

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    the HS10 ships with a cable which has S-video, component and composite on one end and a Sony PJ Multi connector the other end to plug in the HS-10. This should do what you need quite nicely.:)

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to bear in mind about leads is that although there ARE sometimes subtle differences between cables, the cables are all just 75 ohm video cables. If you know anything about electronics, you can make your own from some good quality 75 ohm cable and some good quality terminators - which is what I plan to do.
    If anyone needs any pointers on that then let me know.

PS. I've a degree in electronics - so trust me I'm a doctor!

4. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and you need to make sure your digibox has svideo output ( i thought the only pace sky boxes with svideo were sky+ , but i could be wrong)

if it doesnt you will want to use an rgb to component converter if you want decent quality. And if your dvd has rgb then you could loop that through the sky box as well.

cheers

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at this too and I gather that the following digiboxes have S-video out:

Pace Sky+
    Grundig 2000 and 3000 and the /2 model

The rest (sony, Panasonic etc) just output RGB and sync out of the scart socket. Unfortunately this is different to most projector RGB which tends to use sync on green so you usually have to perform conversion.

I would expect Webloaders solution of RGB->component to produce marginally better quality but given the quality of the source to start with I would experiment. When I get my PJ I think I'll do some side-by-side comparisons and find out.

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    whilst on the subject of cables, anyone know where to order the VGA to PJ Multi cable.?

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Would suggest your local Sony Centre... I bet they will want a fair amount for it though!

Isn't there a multi-caple bundled with the unit? or does this not have the inputs you are looking for?

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    the only cable with the projector is the PJ Multi to component/s-video and composite (as one cable).
    I'm not sure if Sony Centres are carrying accessories for these yet, but I'll see if our local one is open tomorrow.:)
    HS-10 doesn't have a VGA input and I may be looking to put RGB from a Quadscan for NTSC sources and keep Iscan for PAL only which goes into component input.:)