1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Hs10 Bulb Problem Live And Kicking

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RASH PATEL, Mar 7, 2003.

1. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all HS 10 owners,

I don't know whether I am the unlucky one or not, I recently
    bought HS10 ( approx.48 hrs on thebulb), I now find that
    I have to switch on and off more than once to get the bulb to "fire". Only last night,it took me three goes before it came on problem seems to be when I initially swith on the PJ,fan comes on,standby LED green than after a short time Standby LED flashes Amber and LAMP/COVER LED comes on but the
    bulb does not Fire. Is this still a common problem,should I take this PJ back to the dealer for replacement???

I welcome your advise/comments,

Thanks in advance,

Rash

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the problem too. As have another few users on the forum. I heard a rumour that it was maybe a faulty batch of bulbs and the fix is currently a new bulb.

Mine started doing it at about 80hrs but seems to have stopped again now at 110hrs. It did it once the other day. I find that if you unplug it and leave it about 15 seconds and then plug it in again and try again, it works. Mine has never "failed" more than once in a row if you see what I mean.

If your unit persistently fails more than once in a row I would send it back.

John

3. RASH PATEL

RASH PATEL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,John,I think I will run it for another week or so and if
    the problem persists than take it back,

Rash

4. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine has had the start up problem a twice, but seems ok now, how is yours doing now?
    I' m on my 3rd HS10, so hoping all is OK now
    Alan

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent my HS10 back today for replacement due to the above issue.

Alanesmith: you're on your third HS10 right? In how long a period? Were all the problems due to the lamp not starting?

Anyone else:

I'm assuming that if I get a series of HS10 units with the same problem, I should be able to invoke my statutory rights and maintain the goods are not fit for purpose and therefore exchange the HS10 for a different unit. Does this seem reasonable?

Cheers
    John

6. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Get the start up problem perhaps 1 in 5 start-up
    i just switch off at the mains then switch on again then its ok

I’m reluctant to change the unit again, as this is my 3rd one, first one had bright blue spot, that went smaller, and same start up problem
    Second unit had red spot, (dropped pixel)

This one has no dead or permanently on pixels, (they drive me nuts) so hanging on to this one

Some users on USA web site also report start up problems

Also once had fan on left hand side trying to turn, but appeared stuck, on 1st and 3rd unit, I think these fan / start-up problems are part of the temperature control software, cant believe it’s a fan problem, as they appear to similar to the ones used in PC

Any one got any other problems or ideas?

Alan

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snap! That's what happened to my fan too. I couldn't understand it - it was just jerking a bit rather than moving - as if it was stuck.

The turn off and on usually cured it for me - but recently I've had it fail to start a number of times in a row.

My position now is going to be more harsh. It want it to start reliably 100% of the time. One failure - and it's going back...

J

8. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

I’ve been down this path, then it works ok for quite a few sessions, I also want a 100% reliable unit, but what else comes with such a good picture, I still think the fan won’t start due to low supply voltage due to temp control as the fans runs at varying speeds while watching films etc

I don’t think i could stand a fourth unit, although it’s the dearest electronics I’ve ever purchased, and I don’t like having a unit with a problem, but I don’t have a dead or bright pixel issue

Looking on here, the Panasonic has pixel issues, and the Sony hs1 is a poor picture compared to this unit

Where did you buy your projector?

Don’t think my supplier would believe me if I went back with this one, and as its only a fan start up issue you can bet it won't happen if trying to demonstrate the fault

Alan

9. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from nexnix who - touch wood - so far have been very good.

Alternative models that you could look at are the Epson TW-100 which I believe is an improvement over the HS10 in every area (fan noise, colour saturation, brightness,black level,contrast) and sounds like a good unit.

The NEC HT1000 is a good unit as well although 4:3, and you can even pick up the Sony VPL VW-12HT for £3000 from www.go2camcorder.co.uk

It's a pain but I don't want a unit with a persistent fault when you're spending this amount of money. Maybe I should ring nexnix and speak to them this afternoon..

J

10. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

You can only normally exchange goods within 28 days

Don’t know where I stand though, as I had my first unit mid December 2002.

I think with this type of fault the best I would get would be an offer to return it to Sony for repair, which was the previous offers, but after considerable persuasion, and confirmation Sony would accept a returned unit for credit I managed to get an exchange, the dealer won’ kept exchanging, he has already stated it would be a repair next time

Please let me know how you get on

Alan

11. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >You can only normally exchange goods within 28 days
    >Don’t know where I stand though, as I had my first unit mid December 2002.

This statement is what retailers might like you to think. However, this is not true. Your statutory rights as a consumer can be invoked up to 6 years after purchase. If you have purchased a unit which has been faulty since you received it, you are entitled to a replacement or a repair or even a full refund depending on the circumstances. This is in addition to any manufacturers guarantee. The law laws down guidelines for what might be considered to be reasonable longevity of an appliance, and spending £2000+ and having faults within a few months is not acceptable longevity. Unfortunately enforcing your statutory rights depends on the goodwill of the retailer to some extent unless you wish to engage a solicitor.

However, if you have had 4 units, you have a very good case to maintain that you want a different unit by a different manufacturer if that is the path that you choose.

I have spoken to nexnix this morning who supplied my HS10 in late January. They are shipping me a brand new replacement unit to arrive this week. They confirm that if I encounter a similar problem with the new unit, they will replace it with another new unit or alternatively I am free to choose another unit by another manufacturer and pay the difference. However, it seems that nexnix are helpful when it comes to this kind of thing and as I said the retailer can help you a lot, or can be difficult.

I will be looking at my replacement HS10 carefully, and if it begins to show similar symptoms I will ask for it to be replaced by a different unit, perhaps an Epson TW100, and pay the difference.

John

12. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

Be good to hear how you get on with the new projector, have you paid them the £20 extra to look for pixel issues prior to despatch?

I read so much on here regard pixel issues I’m reluctant to let this projector go, as no pixel issues are present, and also start up problems have bee encountered with 2 of these models

Incidentally the one I have now has a much later serial number and later software too, cant see Sony issuing software updates for us to apply as they don’t even have this projector on there web site!

Alan

13. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid £20 for dead pixel check on the first unit. I asked for it to be performed again. I'm certainly not about to pay £20 again for dead pixel check on replacement unit.

I'll keep people posted as to how the new unit is getting on when I receive it.

PS. I wouldn't let any of this put anyone off buying an HS10. If you are spending about £2100 on a projector, I think the HS10 can not really be beaten at that price point.

J

14. Dr.Scanlan

Dr.Scanlan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

well, i've just read all the probs u guyz have had, and i'm afraid it HAS put me off buying the HS10. i was ready to fork out 2 grand to nexnix for one, but no way now. if your spending that kinda money on a quality item, these sort of widespread issues just arent acceptable.

im gonna try and see a pt-ae300 in action and then make a decision. www.bedirect.co.uk are doing the panny for £1599.99, with free delivery, which ain't bad, and the 70" screen nexnix give you 'free' can be gotten for about 90 quid, so all in all sounds like the panny for me....i would like to see it going first though, or wait for next months reviews.

ciao peeps.:devil:

15. flapcats

flapcats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, I was set on the HS10 for months but the DVI 1:1 pickyness, louder fan, its general size and the bulb-problem have put me off - a shame?? - for £450 less I get an AE300 and beef up the quality of my new DVD player (getting a Pioneer 656A-S btw) and still have spare change for some new movies.

16. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  17. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a shame - the HS10 is a really good projector with good image quality. The two things that spoil it very very slightly in my opinion are the fan noise is a bit louder than I would like and the fact that my first HS10 wouldn't start properly after about 150 hrs.

That being said, a lot of people with the newer HS10 have had absolutely no problems. I gather that a faulty batch of bulbs was probably the cause.

Swings and roundabouts. If I have to take this HS10 back due to it not starting, then I will be getting either a Sony VPL-VW12HT or an Epson TW100 or (possibly) an NEC HT1000. I would certainly be tempted to audition all of these.
    J