1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Oct 27, 2001.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Anyone know the Specs for this new projector. Any reviews yet?

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi, I have just got back from the Practical Hi-fi show in Manchester, Sony were giving a demo of the HS1 on a screen about 6 -7ft wide (pod race), I have to say it was quite good, good colours and contrast, blacks looked pretty black to me, the downers are, I could see line structure from the LCD panel, you would have to see this for your self to see if it bothered you, it didnt help with me as I had just seen the same clip demoed on a Barco 708 data projector in the Denon room, and that looked pretty awsome.
    Another downer is the side shot feature, it works great for the picture, apart from the unused part of the projected image from the HS1 has light spillage, hard to explain its like the keystone is out where the picture isnt shown.
    Hope this helps.

I would have to say its a big jump from the Sony cx1, my Brother had one of these, it went back, he wasnt happy with it.

3. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have my heart set on one of these Sony's. I'm going to go up to London for a demo and see for myself what its like. I cannot find anywhere the contrast ratio for this unit? Apparently they are selling this with a free 60" screen. Not ideal size, but will do until I can afford a 7ft electric screen. q: Being a projector novice, does the picture deteriate quite a bit the further it is away from the screen, i.e will 60" be its peak and the bigger you get it the worse the picture&brightness?:confused:

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, the bigger the screen the more you see the line structure, forgot to say before it was running with componant cables from a Sony dvp-ns900 dvd player.
    I woudnt worry about the contrast ratio with this pj, it has good contrast and colour, as I said before, I beleive the ansi lumans are about 700. picture contrast and brightness didn't seem to be affected when going up to the 7ft screen.
    There is a free 60" screen with it, not big enough really, it was also demoed on this screen, and no line structure was visible to me. Its also very quiet.
    £1,799 from
    .here not sure what their service is like though.

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, KRISH is selling the VPL-HS1 for £1799 but it does not appear to include the screen. But for around £250 you can buy a pulldown 6' screen.

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed the price for the above does not state if it includes VAT! The same ad shows the VPL-VW10HT at £3000 + VAT! So be wary.

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had word back from Krish, they are actually selling it for £1699 with the screen, inc. the have a store so I'll visit there and have a demo first, but its sounds a very good deal to me...

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    £1699, that is a good price, it's a pitty the screen is so small, it was at the show, quite neet.
    Dont forget to ask them what their policy is on return's, incase it has any dead pixals.

10. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but can it be ceiling mounted? I've seen no mention of this on any of Sony's literature.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    but can it be ceiling mounted? I've seen no mention of this on any of Sony's literature

No, it's a table top projector only.

If you go for one of these projectors think about going for a IFU-HS1 Switcher.
    With the optional IFU-HS1 switcher, you can say goodbye to a tangled mass of wires linking the projector with the reast of your home entertainment system. Connecting via a single cable using the projectors PJ Multi imput, the IFU-HS1 permits quick, simple switchover between two video/s-video sources and one componant source. The IFU-HS1 also allows "parallel" connection between TV and projector at any time without any re-plugging or awkward connections. (taken from Sony Brochure).10 metres long
    But it costs £120.77 (Exc. VAT)

Hs1 reviewed in Decembers HCC.

12. qixman

qixman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demoed the HS1 yesterday, must say i was quite impressed. After comparing with the sanyo plv30 i think the hs1 has a much better picture quality, the colour looks more natural and vibrant than on the plv30, blacks also looked quite good.

13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Paul, did you do a side by side comparison with these projectors at the same shop, if so where, you live in Newcastle, is that North Staffs or Jordie land?

I would like to demo these side by side for a more closer comparison, I have had a demonstration of the Sanyo but this was months ago, it would now be nice to see them together.
    I thought the Sanyo looked great with no line structure on an 8ft screen. The HS1 I saw at the show which was about a 7ft screen and I could see line structure. What width screen did you demo the HS1 on and could you see line structure.
    I really am tempted by the HS1, time will tell.

14. qixman

qixman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up here in Geordieland

No not side by side but the hs1 straight after the sanyo on a 7 ft screen.I never spotted any noticeable line structure.

The side shot feature was not used so projection was straight on.

I know brightness isnt everything but the higher ANSI rating of the sony meant that even with lights on in the viewing room the picture was very viewable.

15. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Quixman

Whereabouts in Newcastle did you see these projectors?

I presume it was Global or Sevenoaks?

I am going to treat myself to a projector for Christmas (to save me 'borrowing' our data projector from work ;) and would love to compare these two.

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Paul,

When I saw the HS1 going it was setup with the side shot at quite a large step to the side of the screen, maybe this is why I could see line structure, as I believe the picture quality degrades slighty when using sideshot, it was still quite watchable though.
    What distance were you from the screen, and do you know how the Sony was connected to the dvd player.
    I found that the beginning of ST First Contact is a good demo sequence as it starts with good detail from picards eye and then zooms out of the Borg ship (quite dark and shaddowy), I saw this on my Brothers CX1 and it was unwatchable.
    Geordie land is a little far for me to demo, I will have to search closer, I know sound and vision have the HS1 but not the Sanyo, I think I need to see the HS1 setup directly opposite the screen.
    Are you going to buy one?

17. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The HS-1 is reviewed in this month's What TV & Video if anyone is interested.

gets a decent but not brilliant review, points out some visible line structure in the picture. its not clear how they connected
    the DVD player up though.... svideo or component or progessive.

it does imply the sony projector will display both ntsc & pal progressive if I read it properly 480p & 525p..(tempting me to get a Denon 2800).

summary ends with "A delight for casual home cinema fans, but wont cut it with cinephiles".

18. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    After much deliberation, I have purchased the hs1. 1st impressions are very good, with a few head scratching moments I was able to get a great picture, using svideo. I previously looked at the plv30, a couple of dlps , and sony's other small pjs cs2 and cx1. So far, I'm very pleased with my choice :D Btw, I paid 1699 from Krish, pj arrived next day, so far, so good! I'm now on the lookout for a 6ft wide screen, manual probably , but ideally electric. Anybody got one for sale?

Timh, if you need to see the hs1 vs the plv30, I might be able to help

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Mike, have you checked out the Da-lite screen model b from here seams pretty good value.
    Did you get the free screen with your new pj?
    It may be worth trying it out with componant or maybe your pc, my brothers cx1 looked more film like from a pc.
    My Brother is desperate for a demo of the Sanyo, do you know of anywhere local, you are in Stoke, did you demo the plv-30 locally as Stoke is only 20 minutes away from us.
    Have you noticed any picture degrading when using sideshot?
    Maybe you could give us a small review when you have had your new pj for a couple of weeks.

Cheers

20. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Tim, I'll check it out. I dem'd the plv30 right on your back door in Crewe at the Sound of Music hifi shop Nantwich Rd, and would have bought it from there if I had gone for the Sanyo, very nice chaps there. They let me try the pj for the weekend. I'll go back there when I upgrade my sound system.If you let me know, I can bring the hs1 or you can bring it here for a a-b comparison if that will help.

21. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Wow, I cant believe the plv-30 is in my home town. I have only been in that shop once, last year, I just popped in for a quick visit.
    I will be giving them a visit this weekend.Did they quote you a price for the Sanyo?
    Thanks for the offer of making a comparison, I may take you up on it.

22. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    They were waiting for Sanyo to reduce the prices, so you will need to check their price now.Btw I did get the free screen with the hs1, but am still awaiting delivery as it was out of stock.Bear in mind that you will need to buy an accessory from Sony to input component which will cost around £100, but will give simultaneous s-vid, component, and computer inputs. Let me know how you go on.

23. qixman

qixman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    viewed in global hifi, i have actually bought the hs1 now. Have it installed and am delighted with it.

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Mike and Paul, How are you getting on with the HS1? Are you using sideshot, if so can you see any of the picture quality degrading?
    What screen are you using? and can you see line structure?
    As you know I was well impressed with my demo, sadly a short one. How do you find the detail in bright sceens, I have found that the beginning of chapter 10 Contact, Jodie Foster sitting in front of Satalite dish's with blue sky and puffy white clouds in the back ground, a good test for detail in bright sceens. If you have this disc, how does it look?

Sorry for all the questions but I will be buying a PJ one day, and I would like to learn what I can about them.

Cheers

25. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    :D

Timh

I'm getting more impressed with this little projector every day! It does have weaknesses, but you have to put those that it has in perspective; it was £1699, so cannot hope to rival pjs costing 4k or so. Nevertheless, once you get used to the various settings and tailor them to your taste and the Sony's strengths and weaknesses it is possible to get a very good image.

I am using a cheap £90 4ft wide screen, whilst I decide on the 6ft screen to buy. Line structure is not a problem as far as I'm concerned. The picture is detailled, with quite reasonable fleshtones, and good contrast range, although blacks are, of course, not true black, but pretty good imo, with not too much detail lost in the darker parts of the picture, and a good compromise between having a dynamic, vibrant picture, and not bleaching brighter areas out. The Contact scene 10 you mentioned retains a lot of the detail; I'm viewing the film simultaneously on my tv for reference, and it's striking how much more detail I'm now aware of within the film, particularly backgrounds.I'm going to try some more gloomy, darker films such as Seven, to see how it copes.

Regarding sideshot, at my size of picture at least, there doesn't seem to be any great loss in picture quality, althogh using it does leave a 'shadow' of the original picture shape, with the corrected image inside. It's very useful to have the option, but I'd say use it sparingly if possible. That said, the others don't even offer it as an option, so I suppose it's better than not having the choice, and it does work.

Overall, as you can see, I'm very happy with my choice. Sony could and should have included the adapter cable for component input, but at least they've tried to make a home cinema pj, not a computer one. Now I've got my free screen, I'm going to spray my old one with the Dulux icestorm grey I read about on the forum, and see if the black levels improve and whether the whites suffer too much through lack of lamp brightness.

hope this helps. Just my two pennyworth.

Btw, did you get to dem the PLV30?

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Mike,

Thanks for the review on your pj, you sound well pleased with it, have you checked out www.sonyhomecinema.com the IFU-HS1 line switcher which does componant is on there, £140 is a bit steep for an item which should come with the HS1, but if I opt for the HS1 I would have to get one, and this cable will not even route your PC to it, you have to buy another cable for that at about £70 + vat.
    Still at £1700 you have a bargain.
    I coudnt make the Sanyo demo, but my Brother went, he tested with the Contact sceen, he said the sky looked a bit poor and washed out, maybe the brightness and contrast was a little high, or maybe the Sanyo isnt as good with being only 500 lmns.
    I saw the Sanyo last year in Congleton I was really impressed with it, but I dont think I could use it in my lounge, I would need a PJ with a brighter bulb like the HS1, I can get the room dark its just the reflection from the walls and ceiling which let it down.
    Maybe I will go for the HS1 or maybe one of the sub £2000 dlp PJ's coming out soon, theres no rush yet, not until some time next year when funds allow, I may pop up to sound and vision for another demo of the HS1.

Cheers