1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS1, VW11HT or wait a while?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Does the VW11HT offer a vastly superior picture to the HS1, or am I better waiting (a long time) until I can afford a more expensive DLP projector such as the Yamaha DPX-1?

Money is tight and the HS1 for £1699 is very tempting (from Krish), but I don't want to end up buying something else afterwards if it's really not good for home cinema.

I saw the HS1 at the practical hifi show in Manchester. It looked 'ok', but they didn't have the VW11 there. Am I sinical, or could it be that Sony might be hiding the VW11 because they don't think it warrants the extra outlay?
    I've been offered the VW11HT for £4000 which is the absolute maximum I can stretch to at the moment, but if it's worth it........

I saw the Yamaha and it looked quite spectacular (and almost silent) but at £6500 it's along way off for me.

I'll be using a 6ft 16:9 screen and viewing from approx. 6ft away.

I've been waiting to see "what's around the corner" too many times, and if I don't take the plunge soon, I'll drive myself mad.

Any help / opinion would be very gratefully received.

2. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jules I m a new member and sort of the same as you,I`ve just posted something very similar to your post,I`m not sure wether to go for CRT/LCD/DLP I`ve also got around 4k to spend, so any replies to your post should help me too,good luck

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    hi guys
    I'm a very happy HS1 owner. its a great projector at 1699-don't forget to ask about the free screen! For that money, there's no doubt it's a bargain. Btw, I got mine from Krisch, no problems,it arrived next day with £25 p/p.

I've got to say though, the W11t is a much better projector, with more scope for upgrading in the future. Blacks are better, there's finer detail and its brighter, as well as having a true 16:9 panel

That said, the HS1 gives a fine picture to my eyes in it's own right; it depends very much on your own views whether you think the extra £2500 or so is worth it. I decided instead on upgrading my speakers to Kef reference speakers and haven't regretted it. Or put another way that £2500 would buy a TAG AV32R and Rotel 5 channel amp........

Find yourself a good dealer and see the differences for yourself.There are more new pj's on the way for Xmas- good luck!:D

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Thanks Mike,

£2500 is a lot of money. mmmmm.
    I just hope that whichever one I decide to go for doesn't have any dead pixels.
    That thought makes me lean more towards the cheaper HS-1.

I'll sleep on it!

5. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    mikeaitch
    "Or put another way that £2500 would buy a TAG AV32R and Rotel 5 channel amp........ "
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, where can you get a TAG AV32R & Rotel for £2500!!!!
    Let me know!!!!!!!!

:) :D

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Well, I slept on it, and went to see an HS-1 in action.
    The result, .... I've just ordered one for £1699 with a free screen..
    When I demo'd it, there just happened to be a VW10HT aswell, and the differences are slight! In many regards the HS-1 suffered less from the 'grey mist' effect, but the trade off was visible line structure. Still very enjoyable though and miles better than a rear projection TV.

As this will be a new experience I think I'll want to upgrade in year or two. But then I probably would whatever I bought.

So, my advice for anyone is the same boat, would be to experience your first projector at home as (realistically) cheaply as possible. Learn what you like/dislike, then upgrade when
    DLP technology has advanced and become dirt cheap.

Although I've not got it yet, I'm thrilled at not having spent a further £2500, and the
    replacement bulbs are apparently half the cost of the VW11 too!

I'll post my experiences here in a week or so (presuming it arrives safely).

7. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear your comments Jules and i hope you really enjoy your new projector,it will be interesting to hear your views after a couple of weeks of `real life` home use.
    By the way Jules what size of screen did you view them on ?

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,037
    Hi paulsa

It was a 6ft 16:9 screen from about 8 ft away.
    The same size I'll be using, but a little further away.