1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS1 over ae100 on reliability

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mcoupeloon, Jul 1, 2002.

1. mcoupeloon

mcoupeloon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now read various threads talking about these 2 projectors. It seems strange that lots of you are still backing the panasonic even though it has such poor reliability. Surely the majority of buyers in this price bracket who are 'starting off' cannot tell a mass difference between the two. I had a AE100 which didn't even last a hour without blowing up & due to the purchase being on the net, has been pure and utter hassle (courier return £20 paid myself & money rebate 7 days wait) to send back & get a refund. Most seem to use net dealers for the lower prices but be aware of the hassle of returning a faulty projector. The general opinion seems that the panasonic is the better performer but what is the point if it cannot work all of the time. For me the AE is not even a contender as i need mine to work every time I want to use it & havent got time to be sending it back every 2 mins. I have opened this thread purely to aware potential buyers of either projectors of the problems.
    Also living in Cardiff there is NOWHERE remotely near which demo's these machines. Surely due to the amount of these being sold there should be somewhere close?

P.S
    When the panasonic did work it worked very well.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so close to buying an AE100 but the reliability aspect is worrying.

I think people generally choose the AE100 over the Sony HS1 because...

a) it's cheaper

b) it's 16:9 native

I've seen both and have to say the Panasonic seemed better picture-wise. I still have questions unanswered (see the threads that I've started in this forum) but will almost certainly order one in the next couple of weeks.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'd base a decision mainly on quality - is the panasonic better than the Sony, bearing in mind cost?

reliability is an issue, but you do get a warranty.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, after seeing the AE100 in action against the £4k TW100 I have ordered an AE100. Purchased from AV-Sales (have a premises in T Wells) and purchased on Barclaycard. I'm certainly not wishing for any failures but if I do it will have one chance. Two failures and it will be going back. I'll also be adding the B/Card 2 year warranty to give me more piece of mind.

mcoupeloon - where in cardiff. I live in Llantrisant. I'm getting mine tomorrow. You're welcome to a demo if you wish. PM me if interested.

I just don't think you can go wrong for the money. Excellent picture quality, no chicken wire effect (screen door), almost silent, small neat and looks pretty sexy. Oh, and only £1,300. What more could an AV enthusiast want (steady now ;) )

Neil.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    BTW. Cardiff Sony Centre has both the HS1 and VW11 on demo - if you can call it that as they have no demo rooms. I asked if they would let me take it home (after putting it on the card) - They said no.

however, they were prepared to bring it to my house and give me a demo in my own home. Now you can't ask for fairer than that. Give them a call (or better still go in) and see what they will do.

Neil