1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HS1 hook up what to use

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neo-uk, Mar 16, 2002.

1. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hall i have had my sony HS1 for a month now and am very pleased with it

BUT

Has anyone tried a grayhawk screen or da-lite screen on one of these or a diffrent lcd based machine are thay worth getting
    will it make the blacks better ????????

also i have hooked mine up with s-video has anyone tried hooking the sony hs1 up to RGB or Component is it a better
    picture than S-video

also herd that if you hook it up to rgb or component it gives you HUe setting and Gamma settings in the menu ????????

please can you help me with these three questions

thanks

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally think that commercial grey screens are rather expensive. IF you want to see how a grey screen will improve blacks/contrast then why dont you pop down to B&Q and pickup a piece of MDF which is decent size but will fit in your car. Then pick up some ICESTORM 5 paint (go to the paint mixing desk at B&Q and ask for ICESTORM 5), I think this would all come to about £9 quid if that!. Then pop into Homebase and get a foam roller (dont think B&Q do foam rollers or you could just paint it with a paintbrush but a roller is easier.. £2.99 roughly).

Take it home, paint the MDF with ICESTORM 5 paint :) and leave for about 2 hours + until it drys. Then point your projector at the small grey screen (preferably 40" if it will fit in your car) and then watch in envy at better blacks and much better contrast :).

If you like what you see then you can get B&Q to deliver a larger piece of MDF (I prefer 11mm thickness but some people buy 6mm or so) max size 8 foot by 4 foot which is about £11 I think, along with some more ICESTORM 5 paint if you only bought a small pot.

I think they charge about £10 for delivery but even then we're talking about total cost of £25 quid for a 8 foot by 4 foot grey screen!. B&Q will also cut it to any size you want so if you want it 7 foot by 4 foot then they will cut it for you aswell. You can make it look nicer in the living room by fixing it properly to the wall and surrounding it with black velvet (which also helps with lightspill for a 4:3 projector when showing 16:9 films.

Home Cinema does'nt have to cost a fortune :)

James

3. neo-uk

neo-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help me with the conection

which is best the s-video or component or rgb

and do you get the hue and gamma settings under the rgb or component

4. asdatrak

asdatrak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can, use Component input. As you probably know by now, to achieve this, you need Sony component cable ether SIC-HS20 or SIC-HS40 PJ. Check them at http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/867-sony-vpl-hs1-projector.html

I’m not familiar with RGB performance. Regarding Component input all I can say is after seeing it you will never ever go back to S Video connection. Picture sharpness, smoothness, colors and depth are in a different league.
    Depending on DVD player you are using you may have to increase/decrease color balance.

Hue is in the menu but Gamma adjustment is not. Perhaps if you are running RGB via PCHT it may appear then?