sony hs1 cineza + DVD player

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bob, Jun 14, 2002.

1. bob

bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys;
    I have decided to get a new DVD player for my Cineza PJ , but I am a bit confused which one is the best for this kind of PJ.
    I would opt for Philips Q50(40) or one of the Sony's .They both have component out which appears to be the best for the picture quality.In the "what video " mag the q 40 has been reviwed with absolutely fantastic results . The option of corecting the picture gama, sharpnes , saturation etc. got me thinking that it could do the job since the Cineza s got a bit washed out picture.
    Any thouths?

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    both are good players.. but have you not considered going progressive scan (via whatever route) to get a better picture to the projector?

this would be a bigger improvement than just normal component since it will de-interlace the picture and should remove any scanlines/ problems if you are seeing them.

restricts your choice of models a bit more, but obvious choices like the Toshiba 510 at approx £300, more as you go further up the price range.

3. bob

bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After searching for the best progressive dvd player I think that I could actually get the same result by connecting my computer to the PJ.I have the new ATI radeon (100hz) + .The only thing I am scared of are the black bars !! I have no idea if they display on both or just the pc.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes.. if you notice above I did say progressive scan "via whatever route"... VGA is basically progressive scan, plus higher resolution again depending on what you are set to.

lot of people have gone this way... set your PC to a custom resolution that matches 1:1 per pixel to the projector's panel, or some multiple of it.

I still like remote control and no fan noise but that's just my personal opinion...

a progressive scan dvd player should be pretty close.

5. bob

bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .... me too.DVD player is much better and comfortable!! than setting up a comp. I will go for Sony one ( good picture quality and reputation) - to mach it with my sony Cineza PJ. Any idea where to get it from in the UK(progressive) ?? or any other under £300 ? or is it not enough money to match the quality of PC vga connector .Any advice appreciated. Thanks for your advise so far.

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    progressive scan should give you nearly as good a picture as a PC... depends on the projector.
    personally I'd accept 90-95% picture quality with the convenience of dvd player rather than all the setup problems of a HTPC.

most players will only be NTSC progressive scan, not PAL, but there are a few makes or ones coming that should do this also.

I'm not sure what Sonys are progressive scan now... the ns700 & 900 aren't... the only Sony ones used to be more expensive. just looking now. [EDIT] doesnt seem to be any apart from the Sony 9000 which is an old model.

the first "decent" make with progressive scan is Toshiba with the the 510e.. ntsc progressive scan and dvd-audio also... quite a few people with this.. available multi-region for less than £300.

I've currently got a Denon 2800 but I'd ignore this even available at £550 from some places... too many problems. mine should be swopped for something else soon.

the philips q50 or 962 can be ordered with both pal & ntsc progressive scan from abroad... hivizone. say £400-550.

the harman kardon dvd 25 is looking interesting... will almost certainly do pal progressive scan with firmware due in Aug/Sept... about £450.

what do you want to spend max?

7. bob

bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, it is difficult to say. Probably not more than £500.
    What I really want is to enjoy my home cinema and get a decent picture on 100" screen.I really don't know what to go for.What is the difference if I plug into the component normal dvd like Q50 od the progressive one.Is it worth the money?
    I gues as you said I will have these lines anyway no matter what projector input I use unless I got the progr.

Just checked the Q 50 .Looks good to me, however is it safe to order from abroad? - taxes , import duty and so on ???

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the difference between plain component and progressive scan might as well be night & day... pretty sure everyone here would agree with me on this?

have a look at http://www.leconcepts.com/whatsnew/progscan.htm
    and also http://www.progressivescan.co.uk for more info.

IMHO, if you want a solid, detailed picture on a big screen, then you want progressive scan from either a dvd player or a htpc (basically the same.. or better).

so yes, its worth the money.

should be safe to order from hivizone... pretty sure Philips give a 1 year international warranty but do check it out.. see the current thread on the 962sa ordered from hivizone by someone.

you'd be pretty safe ordering a toshiba 510 anyway... very safe bet by all accounts picture-wise and quality.. only NTSC progressive scan (ie mainly region 1 discs) but still very good and below £300.

might be worth waiting a few weeks/ months if you can to see if any new players are confirmed as pal progressive (e.g the hkardon dvd 25) or come out (e.g the philips 963).

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the toshiba 510 is listed as multi region for £249 at Richer Sounds according to a magazine.