1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY hs-20 and Samsung 935/945

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sapkan, Oct 8, 2004.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone running the above pj and DVD player combo via DVI/HDMI? Please comment on the PQ

2. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I'm currently using these two together ahead of my forthcoming upgrades to HS51 or Optoma H77.

Please bear in mind that these are merely my own impressions, I certainly don't have the technical expertise of some of the guys who post reviews on these pages. anyway, fwiw...

Given the pricepoint for the Samsung, I'm very impressed by the overall quality shown by the dvd,and having used the recent Star wars r1 and 2 as examples, I am happy to wait until funds let me get up to mid- high end players happy in the knowledge that it would have to be quite a big cost increase to improve pq appreciably.

Improvements imo are;

Sharpness- I like a sharp, well defined image

solid colours, less 'noise' in the image

More believable textures to surfaces, less moireing (if that's the word) with things like finely patterned suits etc

better depiction of movement, especially in wide shots

Negatives:

Useless transport controls on the remote- you have to press and hold the chapter fwd or back button to do speedsearch, 2x and again for 4x or above. Let go too early, and it skips to the next chapter :thumbsdow

Theres an extremely annoying blue light which can't be switched off- you can read by it...

Access times are pretty slow, and there's no on screen indication of the upsampling setting.

I actually prefer to use the 935 via dvi to my HS20 with the pj set to 1280 x 720 on the 'computer@ setting, which is a smaller picture, but to me was the best overall pq.

One of my other players is the Panasonic RP82, which is reputed to have one of the most natural pictures via component out there. I use the Samsung.

3. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Mike, that was helpful. After all the stretch to a Pio 668 might not be worth it if HDMI is the connection used. I too recently leaned of the HS-51 and will wait for it to come out as it is likely to be in the same price bracket as the HS-20

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38