1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HQ100

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DRGL, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Up until a few weeks ago i was happy as a pig in poo with my HQ100,then a mastercare engineer came out to do the safety recall and manged to break the on/off switch and have a screw left over!! Sony agreed to replace it,the replacemnet which turned up yesterday is really bad :( The geometry is awful and the picture flickers(worse on white screens) I'm beginning to think it's time to give up.This is the story so far :-

(1) KV36FS76U-tube failed after 2 months.
    (2) Replacement KV36FS76U had screen interference and washed out colours.
    (3) THIRD KV36FS76U worked fine for 2 months-then switched itself off and flashed power LED 4 times.
    (4) 36HQ100-worked fine but would switch SCART inputs by itself(Turned out to be normal-widescreen switching).
    (4) Replacement 36HQ100-suffered from terrible screen purity-green tinge on RH side of screen and dirty whites on left hand side. Degauss made no difference.
    (6) THIRD 36HQ100 worked fine until recall was done,following recall case was not refitted correctly and there was a screw left over(!) Power button also stopped working(button disappeared in side case).

What do i do? I really love this set(when it's set up correctly and works) the picture is fantastic. I've got a message to call Sony but this is getting silly now. I don't like the Toshiba which leaves the Panasonic PD50-i fear that may be a bad move though? I'm nearly 12 months on from when i first purchased a TV,the neighbours must think i'm mad! Plasma? i really don't know.........

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK spoken to Sony,been given the option on these two Plasma's :-

KDE-P37Xs1
    KEP-42M1

Or another HQ100. I really like the HQ100,i will be viewing these Plasma's tonight. One concern with the Plasma is i don't want it on the wall and they don't come with stand(££££££££).Ideas??

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I believe a floorstand is available for the first model - after all the hassle you been given by Sony and their agents I would have thought you would have been justified in asking asking Sony to supply it for free - be polite but firm if that's the one you decide to go for. After all, your original tv set didn't sit on the floor did it ? Regards, yt.

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    too true,i asked how much the stand is in the brochure-£700!! Rediculous,apparently not made by Sony??

5. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bite their hand off for the plasma, then go to Ikea or argos and buy a nice glass shelved unit that will support your gear and look fabbo. make sure and clean the six foot square bit of carpet your 36" Behemoth was on before, and hop on the slim TV wagon.

Quality control on high end CRTs seems to be lacking somewhat these days, and its a bugger when your 40 ton TV as big as a truck goes POP. Get a plasma/LCD and relax for once my friend. Good times they are a-comin....

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right,just been to see the Plasmas.The KDE-P42XS1 was OK,better picture than the KEP-42M1 but the internal speakers on both were AWFUL. I know they will prob. be linked to the surround sound but i don't know if this will annoy me? It's OK having surround on films but all the time?? The other thing is the stand,they don't feel part of the screen,wall mount is a no no.I really don't know. How can Sony offer something that is £££££ more than what we have? Wish they'd just make a decently setup HQ100!! help me out people.........

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    anyone?

8. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be after (yet) another HQ100 in your situation. I've not seen better picture quality anywhere, ever.

Can they not repair the last one that you had? I would have thought that the on/off switch was relatively easy to fix?

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm thinking another HQ100 is worth the risk.I dunno why but i prefer it to Plasma! My other TV-i could have fixed it myself in 5 mins,but then i wouldn't have got Sony involved and be better off!

10. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't know the figures involved but maybe take the plasma - sell it and make a profit - buy another HQ100 ? - pocket profit. As I say, don't know the figures (or hassle) involved. Regards, yt.

11. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thought about it,and,you may think i'm MAD but i really haven't the heart to rip Sony off-at the end of the day they have been REALLY great over all of this,i think going by what i've read on this site they have done more than most of the manufacturers. I can't go into detail for legal reasons but if we go the HQ100 route we won't be loosing out ;) I always said if i buy a Plasma it would be a Panasonic,so we are giving the HQ100 one last try and hopefully all will be well ;) Thanks everyone.