1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HQ100 :(

Discussion in 'TVs' started by DRGL, Sep 13, 2004.

1. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having just sent a perfectly working HQ100 back as Sony couldn't give a straight answer on a SCART switching issue i am slightly gutted that the replacement suffers from screen purity issues :( The whites on the left hand side have a tinge of yellow,it's so bad that while watching the F1 on Sunday the "F1" logo was dirty white/yellow when it should be pure white! What is it with Sony's QC at the moment? This TV is fantastic when setup correctly, seems they just want to ship as many boxes as possible and worry about any problems later! (Although i must admit that most people wouldn't notice the purity problems but when spending 2K on a TV i would!!!) The T is being replaced,this will be my SIXTH TV this year! Three FS76U's all failed within a couple of months and now this,it's getting embarressing sending these back,i feel like they must think i am breaking them! Sometimes i wish my eyesight wasn't so good!! Am i being too fussy in thinking a 2K TV should be able to deisplay a white screen OK or is colour imperfection on a third of the screen OK?

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Third one has arrived and is spot on (touch wood!) Geometry,convergence and colour puirity ALL excellent :) Just hope it stay's OK......

3. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again DRGL - have ordered the 100HQ and should arrive Thurs. Any top tips as to the setup/picture settings that seem to work?
    Seeing as you've had so many Sony's I guess you've had plenty of practise ;-)
    Many thanks
    Nic

P.S. does the new one exhibit the same switching problem that one of your others did?

4. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The TV will be defaulted to "Live contrats @ 100%! Set to personel,i set the contrast up a couple of notches,brightness down,colour and sharpness are @ about 50%,on the sound front a set it to "Dynamic" and bump the trebble and bass up,i'll take some screen shots and post them up Wednesday for you ;)

5. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks DRGL - what exactly was the problem you had with the auto switching you had? Just curious to see if mine does the same!!!
    Cheers
    Nic

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,i have taken some pictures and will upload them ASAP. The TV was switching AV inputs if we left the freeview box on whilst watching a DVD when ever adverts appeared! adverts are not broadcast in widescreen so the TV was seeing the aspect ratio change as an AV request.Cutting pin 8 on teh SCART lead would have sorted this but Sony said it shouldn't do it! ALL THREE HQ100's i've had have done it so there is no problem.All i would say is check the screen purity-that's the ONLY problem i have had with the one set.Only other thing i notice is slight RED colour bleed-this has been on all three TV's and also on the display model-looks like an infamous Sony software glitch to me ;)

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some pics for you ;)

[​IMG]

Picture settings :-
    [​IMG]

Sound settings :-

[​IMG]

Obviously this is to my eyes and ears! But this TV seems VERY easy to get the picture & sound how you want it ;)

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Did it arrive OK?? Hope you are happy with it..........

9. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DRGL - still waiting for it but many thanks for your info-invaluable so I can check it to make sure it's not a duff one!
    Did you deal with Sony direct with your problems or the retailer?
    Cheers again & I'll let you know when I get it up & running!
    Nic

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes they are.

11. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Otherwise, do you still like the picture quality?

12. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK,maybe i should have said if the program being watched was not broadcast in widescreen but the adverts were :rolleyes: I'm not getting into some argument over what it was or wasn't doing.The voltage on pin 8 was changing with the adverts so whatever.......Picture quality is spot on :) I dealt with Currys direct-Sony were pretty useless TBH......

13. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set arrived late yesterday - what a beast. Didn't realise it was so big!
    Initially turned it on & was dissapointed with the picture quality although it has been getting better now I've fiddled with it. I wish there was away to turn the digital processing off as the artifacts really annoy me! I'm going to get the retailers to send an engineer out though as the corners on the right hand side of the screen have a washed out effect as if a large magnet has been placed there at some time & the focus? not sure if it's the right word but the red gun seems out of alignment on the right hand side of the picture somewhat?
    Still, it looks good!
    Anyone found the service menu?
    Cheers
    Nic

14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can change the 100Hz mode so you don't get so many artifacts on fast moving scenes-go into picture power and change from 100Hz digital motion to 100Hz digital plus ;) Service menu:-

i+,5,Vol+ [] (text off)

Can you post a picture up so i can see what problems you have? The red does seem to flare slighty on these sets(has done on all the ones i've had!) Sounds like you may have an example of Sony's poor QC :( Out of interest was the screen dirty when you unpacked it?

15. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya - screen wasn't especially dirty - a little bit dusty but nothing out of the ordinary. Don't think it was a return or anything.
    I thought the 100Hz Digital Plus was still doing the processing just an uprated 'new' sort of processing - still get quite a few aberations using that. Perhaps it's not a very good sky channel?
    Tried that service menu sequence but the TV just turns itself on when the Vol + button is pressed & nothing else happens. Going to go off and have another go right now.
    I'll see if I can get a piccy of the faults....
    Thanks again.
    P.S., just called PRC (the retailer) and told them about the magnetic distortion on the RHS & he said turn it on & off 5-6 times (degaussing!) and it should get better over the next few days.
    Sounds like bull to me so I'm meant to be getting a call from a supervisor later!
    We'll see
    Nic

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,i don't think you can turn the digital processing off 100%,the alternative mode is just the same as the DRC100 mode on the FS76U.Degaussing will get rid of magnetic problems over time BUT if it's bad the TV's own degauss coil isn't good enough.I had to do mine! The bottom left hand corner had it.....

17. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, finally managed to get into the service menu-was pressing the teletext on/off button rather than the full square button.
    Not that it made any difference though!

18. wow400

wow400
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you do yours - i remember trying to do an old sony which had a speaker too close with a magnet & it went horribly wrong.

19. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used tape erraser,if you've got a solder gun(not iron) that will work too ;)

20. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any joy and/or pictures of the problem?