Sony HQ100 Problem???

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by DRGL, Aug 29, 2004.

1. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Sony HQ100 TV with a Pioneer Freeview box connected to AV1 and a DVD player connected to AV2.If the freeview box is left on and we watch a DVD the freeview box will sometimes switch the AV's to be the current picture. This seems to happen whenever adverts appear on the channel!! I have found if we watch a DVD with the freeview box left on and change channels on the freeview box this also causes the same thing to happen! Is this a fault or is the TV "seeing" the change in aspect ratio's on the freeview box and interpreting this is a request to the TV to switch to this AV input??(as this only seems to happen with channels with adverts when the aspect ratio changes for adverts and when flicking between different channels with different aspect ratio's) Please tell me this isn't a fault as after THREE FS76U's i will have a break down if this thing breaks!! I love this TV!!

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony have called this behaviour "very unusual"!! as i understand AV's should only switch when equipment is been switched on and off?? If i'm watching a DVD with the freeview box ON and change the aspect ratio of the freeview box from wide to something else it overrides the DVD! This is also what happens on adverts-the adverts aren't broadcasted in widescreen,when the aspect ration changes it overrides the DVD. Also,in the menu(and mentioned in the manual) is an EPG option.This TV is not digital,isn't EPG(Electronic Program Guide) a digital only service? Sony are looking into it as they thought EPG was digital only too!! It's greyed out in the menu but according to the manual this is because the TV hasn't received any EPG data........

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just an update,an engineer has checked the TV and was advising to cut pin 8 on the SCART plug. Sony say this should NOT be required so the TV is being swapped out (again) this will be our 5th TV in 6 months! Does anyone out there own an HQ100 too? Could you see if the TV switches the AV input if the aspect ratio changes on another AV input? We tried out STB on a display TV and it did not switch AV's BUT we could not get a digital signal so this test wasn't conclusive.....

4. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    Pin 8 on the Scart does send the switching signal. It would seem strange for the TV to be doing this without being told to. Do you have another TV with auto switching you can test the freeview box on?

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pin 8 is also used for the widesreen aspect ratio,this is why the TV is switching on it's own when adverts come on! The adverts are not in widescreen and the TV is interpreting the aspect ratio signal as the same signal as the AV switching,the freeview box did not do this on the last set (Sony FS76U) we tried it in store but could not get a signal(no digital aerial) the TV is being swapped out this Saturday.....In the mean time if anyone has a Sony HQ100 with digital could you try switching to any AV other than the digital and then change the aspect ratio on the digital? (if that makes sense! Most digital STB's have an aspect ratio button-our TV switches the AV input if this is changed,so,if we are watching a DVD and recording digital whenever the adverts appear we loose the DVD! We can get it back by pressing the AV button but it's a pain....)

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Good point about the multifunction use of pin 8 .
    The nominal voltages are 0 volts (ground/earth) , 6 V and 12 V. Sounds like there may be some overshoot when switching from ws back to normal.
    The 6 volts indicates a widescreen signal - but seems instead to be hitting source-switching levels.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will stick a meter on it later troday and see what voltage actually is going through it,the TV is being swapped out anyway,i've got authorisation to swap the Pioneer freeview adaptor too! It's either a design fault or one of these is out of tollerence.........