1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony help reqd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bill stickers, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bill stickers

bill stickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of problems with my KV28DS20U (returned to sony service twice, faulty tube and then finally breaking down all within three years. All different problems) I sent a nice factual letter to Sony informing them what I thought of their goods. They replied in good faith saying that they agreed the set was not of the standard they would expect and offered me a new KD28DX51. I have now received the new set and am not sure if things are starting again. When watching, the picture will start to break up (only odd parts of the screen) I go into the signal strength mode and it would say poor. I can get to a situation where the TV says not tuned in while watching the program. I then change to BBC1 and the signal shows good, back to the original station and the signal now shows good.
    Is it me? are the transmitter power outputs variable, is the TV crap. I have had the aerial checked and thats ok but they replaced the downlead for a double screened lead when I had the old set. I live West London and its pointing to C/Palace.
    Any clues before I get back to Sony.

Bill Stickers

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello Bill and welcome to the Forum. :)

Are we talking digital or analogue from Crystal Palace?

3. bill stickers

bill stickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TG
    It is digital

Bill

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Bill,

It's always difficult to diagnose these things from a distance, but it sounds to me as if it's your incoming signal that's to blame and that your various TV set faults are a red herring.

When you say that your aerial was checked, exactly how was that done?

For digital, it's not just a case of measuring the signal strength.

Signal quality is even more important. :lesson:

Your post does not make clear if all channels are playing up, but be aware that the ITV multiplex is more difficult to receive, not because it is weaker, but because more channels are crammed into it. :thumbsdow

Finally, your West London location is near the Heathrow flightpath.

Any chance that your problem is dependent on wind direction? ( :laugh: )

Hope this helps.

5. bill stickers

bill stickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi TG, sorry I am not used to the forums, I know what I am talking about (mostly) and forget that other people don't know the ins and outs of my experiences. Anyway when I purchased the first dig tv I arranged for an aerial engineer to call and check to see if I might need a new one. He said although its not a "digital" one it would be suitable, but he said I should replace the downlead for a double screened one, this he replaced for me.
    So could it be I need a digital aerial? if so what are Maplins ones like.
    Still confused about the signal strength on the TV though, When the meter says high the picture is perfect, when the meter says good the picture breaks up, but by changing channels and then back to original one the meter says high signal again. Looks like the signal quality is the problem.

Thanks, Bill

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Hello again, Bill.

Despite what the manufacturers would have you believe, there's really no such thing as a digital aerial.

Some transmitters use a much wider spread of channels for digital, and hence need a different aerial, but that doesn't apply to Crystal Palace.

Having said that, any aerial that's been exposed to the elements for several years may well be ready for retirement.

Before you spend any money (remember this is TG talking :laugh: ), is there any chance of trying another digital TV at your location, or lugging your own TV round to a neighbour?

I still think this is probably a signal problem, but it would be nice to confirm it.

Good luck. :)

7. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with TG. All these issues sound like signal strength problems to me. However good the TV there's no substitute for a well postioned aerial with a good connection back down to the TV. Checking your signal with someone else's set-top box would my suggestion since they have very similar tuners to IDTVs.

8. bill stickers

bill stickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help, I have decided to get a new aerial I will get one thats for a weak signal area. Thats the wifes xmas present sorted then.

Bill

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well done, Bill, I can see you have the correct attitude. :thumbsup:

Mrs TG is getting a steam iron for Christmas, second hand of course.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Best wishes. :)