1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Castar, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

My Sony headphones (I think they were the MDR-ED31LP Fontopia, bought them £20 at HMV) have recently become very unbalanced in sound. I used them on my NW-HD5H since the ones provided are not really that good in terms of bass (and quality imo) and positioning in the ear. Unfortunatelly, the right one doesn't play any bass anymore. Has anyone else encountered this? Even so, the quality of the bass was excellent and I was really satisfied with the overall quality of the headphones.

Since they need be replaced, I have recently saw that the MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia sell pretty well so it made me think to buy those instead of the same pair. Has anyone had these headphones? Are they of good sound quality (and how's the bass?)? And the most important thing: do they break often?

2. Bacon_N_Cheese

Bacon_N_Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Castar, many people have the same problem where one of the headphones just stopped making any sound. I heard it is of very bad build and and the wires. Many people seem to have problems with them. I wouldn't buy Fontopias if I were you.

3. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the same thing happen with the MDR-E888LP, which was supposedly the top-of-the-line model at one time. One of the earbuds had a loose wire or something and stopped working unless I jiggled the cable. Very annoying. I replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser PX100s.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea why they're called Fontopias? Or even how that word is pronounced? I always assumed it was pronounced "fon-TOE-pia", but a friend in high school (which was a very long time ago) reckoned it was pronounced "fonta-PEE-a, cos they fit in your EAR". Still have no idea how they came up with such a bizarre trademark though.

Andrew

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Before Y2k brought in the age of BS not-quite-English-or-anything-else-for-that-matter names into the West, the Japanese were world masters (with the Koreans a close second) of creating western-style names which mean nothing, or mean something but is slightly differently spelt. I'm sure if you ask a Sony rep, it's meant to represent something like "sincere inspiration", "funky living coolness" or some such nonsense.

Sony earphones are somewhat designed to be disposable. Others may be slightly better but you have to move up the price scale a bit before they start putting on decent strain relief on the cables. I personally think the EX70/71 are the worst dumbing-down exercise in consumer sound quality in recent memory, but many seem to like them and even I have to admit they're handy little things.

5. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, just bought the MDR-EX71SL. Quality is good, the bass is responsive but treble is a bit more that I am used to it. I hope I will get used to it...

Anyways, still a practical buy...

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,413
    The EX71's are about 7/10 for sound, build and comfort

Its just that the bass is a tad much and the highs aren't there.

But the main prob is the right channel might blowout. Its always the right for some reason. Every person online says the right one has gone. Hmmm. I'm on my 2nd and last pair if it happens to me again

So get the Panasonic RPHJE50 instead. Doesn't look as stylish, but better balanced sound and build. I use the EX71 pads for better fit

Buy from eBay for about £20 inc del. Don't buy from Dixons/Currys/Comet for rip-off £30-35

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously people - if you want a pair of headphones to blow your socks off you (bass you feel through your head <and I know I have been banging on about it in other threads>) should go for the AKG K 26 P's.

They're not in ear but have good seal so you won't really be bother people next to you - especially not on a bus or train :) And at £30 a go I do not see anyone complaining :)

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
  9. Castar

Castar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the MDR-J20 a good fit though?

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Yep as comfy as you like, they are made of soft pliable rubber ear hangers and the earphone itself fits vertically inside your ear. They are simply superb sounding, bass, treble, you name it, these baby's rock in all departments. There is no need to de-limit volume on your HD5 either, the J20's are far louder than any earphone out there.

I could quite happily expect to pay £40-50 for this type of quality, at £15 it's a no brainer ;)