1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HDW3 Owners.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by welshpaul, Jan 6, 2005.

1. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having hunted around i've narrowed down a purchase to either the Sony or a Rio Carbon. (I know Sony has bigger GB but Rio is sufficient size)

After info on the sound performance on the Sony, is it loud?
    Also what are the headphones supplied with it like and if not the best what would you reccomend.

Finally Atrac. Saw an article recently which stated it's a better format than MP3. Any truth in this? I currently have no MP3s so would be converting my CD's to either MP3 or Atrac dependent on which is best.

Cheers

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    No, it's not very loud. It is one of the quieter MP3 players you can buy in the UK especially as there's no way you can 'bump it up' like the iPods.

MP3 is portable. i.e. if you switch away from Sony at a sooner (or later) date, then having ATRAC files means that you have to re-rip again. Even your own rips are locked down tight in ATRAC using encryption, and movement of the files is restricted.

At 256K ATRAC3+ or 256K MP3, there are practically no differences. Using ATRAC3 (older codec than ATRAC3+) 132K, there's not much to tell between 128K MP3 and the ATRAC equivalent. There are no higher bitrates available on the HD3 for ATRAC.

The differences really kick in with lower bitrate files. 64K ATRAC3+ sounds like a badly ripped <128K VBR MP3, meaning if you don't mind this quality then ATRAC3+ is much more space efficient. 48K ATRAC3+ sounds like... well, like turd actually so let's not go there.

3. cashback

cashback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    dont know if you know this but there is a post on these forums solving volume issue

4. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using my HD3 for 2 weeks and I'm very happy with it! it sounds much better than iPod or Zen Micro. The battery life is the best in the market at this moment (25hrs per charge). Maybe it sounds a little bit quiet but after accessing to the secret menu and adjusting the volume setting, it sounds much louder.

5. hexis

hexis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, NW HD3 is really cool. I bought mine in France. After secret menu it sounds much louder and i think its a great player. Battery is also cool and design...

6. bruce1981

bruce1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know because I am the only one who is not able to unlock the volume!!!