Sony HDT500 Hard Disk Drive

Chosun

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My Sony HDT500 hard disk has just died :(

It's out of warranty, so I'm going to crack the case open and replace the drive with a new one.

I just wondered if anyone had tried this before, and if so what type of drive I should get? I have yet to get the screwdriver out, but I think it may be a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Hi,

My Sony HDT500 hard disk has just died :(

It's out of warranty, so I'm going to crack the case open and replace the drive with a new one.

I just wondered if anyone had tried this before, and if so what type of drive I should get? I have yet to get the screwdriver out, but I think it may be a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

Hi

Western Digital 3.5" AV-GP hard drive.

WD AV-GP

Thanks to both for the answers.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the AV-GP drive have better speed, larger cache, or some other feature over and above a "standard" WD drive?

Thanks to both for the answers.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the AV-GP drive have better speed, larger cache, or some other feature over and above a "standard" WD drive?

Hi

Multiple continuous stream support and no error checking. They are specifically designed for PVR use - lower energy consumption and heat production.

Great, thanks.

I'll get the box opened up tonight and get my order in for an AV-GP drive as well.

Hi did you get this to work, as I bought the mentioned drive and my unit wont even reconise it.

thanks

thanks for quick reply, I managed to get it working under windows 7, i can see the drive, save to it etc..

but still not joy with the sony, its a hdt500, and the drive I purchased is wd10eurx wd av-gp 1tb

what are your thoughts on initializing this under windows 7?

Hi

You should be OK to initialize under Win7 then Format in the SONY (Menu Option) but I haven't actually tried it in a SONY.

Pete

Hi

Win7

Attach HDD with computer Power-OFF (Spare SATA)

Load Win7

Desktop > Computer~RightClick :Manage
Storage > Disk Management
Should detect uninitialized HDD - Choose Initialise:MBR

Don't need to partition or Format but should be OK if you do.

Power OFF PC - Remove HDD.

Attach HDD to SONY (Power-Disconnected)
Boot : MENU > Others > Disk > Format Disk : PIN:0000 > YES > YES
. . . . . . .
Reboot > OK

:thumbsup:

Pete

I’ve tried all that, with this drive and unfortunately this doesn’t seem to work, the Sony doesn’t seem to see it - don’t get the option to insert pin ether,

I’ve tried another western digital blue drive and that worked, just not the western green av drive :(

I’ve tried all that, with this drive and unfortunately this doesn’t seem to work, the Sony doesn’t seem to see it - don’t get the option to insert pin ether,

I’ve tried another western digital blue drive and that worked, just not the western green av drive :(

:confused:

im just as puzzled, i guess this drive simply isnt compatible with the HDT500/1000

im just as puzzled, i guess this drive simply isnt compatible with the HDT500/1000

Is the problem drive a sata 3 model by any chance ?

Gooogle suggests it might well be . . .

The Foxsat-hdr also apparently has the same problem with sata 3 drives. Could be worth contacting WD to see if the drive has a firmware downgrade to sata 2.

Using a windows PC to initilise the drive has nothing to do with it, what you must do is the following

STEP2 (Diagnosis and Format the HDD) The recorded contents on the HDD will be erased.
1. Connect a USB memory to the USB jack on the unit.
2. Enter the service mode.
Press six buttons in order of the [System Menu] [PIP] [4] [5] [6] [7] on the remote commander.
3. Select [5 Performance Check].
4. [HDD Check] will start. (The check takes 2-3 hours)
5. The diagnosis data will be saved in the USB memory as text file.
6. Open the text file with "WordPad". The diagnosis data will be displayed.[Fig.-1]
7. Confirm the "Self-test execution status" number shown in parentheses.
8. Judgment and Remedy
( 0): [No problem] Format the HDD.
Press/select four items in order of the [System Menu] [Others] [Disk] [Format Disk].
(Others): [ NG ] Replace the HDD with a new one.
9. After formatting the HDD, the unit will restart.
10. Finish.

Using a windows PC to initilise the drive has nothing to do with it, what you must do is the following

STEP2 (Diagnosis and Format the HDD) The recorded contents on the HDD will be erased.
1. Connect a USB memory to the USB jack on the unit.
2. Enter the service mode.
Press six buttons in order of the [System Menu] [PIP] [4] [5] [6] [7] on the remote commander.
3. Select [5 Performance Check].
4. [HDD Check] will start. (The check takes 2-3 hours)
5. The diagnosis data will be saved in the USB memory as text file.
6. Open the text file with "WordPad". The diagnosis data will be displayed.[Fig.-1]
7. Confirm the "Self-test execution status" number shown in parentheses.
8. Judgment and Remedy
( 0): [No problem] Format the HDD.
Press/select four items in order of the [System Menu] [Others] [Disk] [Format Disk].
(Others): [ NG ] Replace the HDD with a new one.
9. After formatting the HDD, the unit will restart.
10. Finish.

Hi

This is great info - Thanks. :thumbsup:

But . . . The OP is trying to get a replacement HDD to be recognized.

A drive has to be initialized in order for it to be seen by the SONY box.

Once initialized then it has to be partitioned and formatted by the SONY to XFS.

The only other method I can think of that could be tried, is to install into a USB enclosure (one that is known/tested to work with this drive) and then attach to the SONY USB port and Format from the Menu as a USB external drive.

Then swap from the enclosure into the main box and see if it works ??? I have only tried it the other way - Original Internal HDD moved to USB enclosure.

Pete

My mistake, the drive should be recognised straight out of the package. there is no need to do anything else, if his box does dot recognise the new virgin HDD then the MB may be faulty as well. This is what the service site say about this model

Guys,

Ive managed to return this unit for the 1tb version - is there a service manual about?

thanks

There is a service manual for the unit, how ever just the basic parts no schematics etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom