Sony HDR-UX3 - 8cm DVD-RW won't rip onto the comupter

chrisdudeperson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have just bought a Sony HDR-UX3 and i got a pack of 5 8cm DVD-RW disc's thrown in with it.
The DVD-RW records fine onto the camera and it plays it back.
But when i try and rip it onto the computer it says "Cannot import becase the disc is not supported".
This only happens when i record in HD, but i don't want anyone saying "Just record in SD" because that doesn't fix the problem.
I've tried ripping with the camera plugged in and the disc in the drive of the computer.
I am using Sony's own ripping software.

Please help!
Chris

Try single write discs..
Also if the disc is readable on the PC ( presumably finalised) you shouldn't even need to rip, jus copy off the flies in the stream folder

Is there any other way around that

Because single write disc's are gonna add up in costs

And what this stream folder that you are talking about

Thanks
Chris

Is there any other way around that

Because single write disc's are gonna add up in costs

And what this stream folder that you are talking about

Thanks
Chris
The idea of single write is to see if it is a DVD-RW problem or not

Im not suggesting you buy them all the time but in fact the idea of discs was not really to reuse them unless the footage was best archived on a HDD . In tape land tapes are often not reused and they are better ( bieng magnetic) for such
The Stream folder is part of a BD folder structure often to be found f you expolre the disc in window explorer

I tried the stream folder and i got a message saying "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows"

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

You have most probably not "finalised" the disc ..
This is a problem ( or feature) with DVD based camcorders and indeed any kit which use optical disc for incremental data writing. They need to be finalised in order to be readable universally
I have a settop DVD recorder whose disc are not readable on the PC or any other DVd player until they are finalised

I finalised it and got the same message

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Chris

Just for the sake of experimentation.. shoot SD , and finalise and see if the PC can " see" the disc

There is no other obvious reason

The other reason is that finalising is not actually happening

Done that.

Yes it works and plays like a DVD

I used something called VIDEO mode instead of VR mode

I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Chris

HD doesn't offer the option.

I think i read somewhere that the disc can affect the mode. Like + or -

Have you heard this?

Thanks
Chris

It should not, ordinarily althouth DVD-RW differ from DVD-R in ability to be used for incremental writing ( which is why I suggested a single write one for comparison)
I would imagine you rcamcorder also has a USB connection to the PC .. ( can you copy contents via that?, rather than rely on the disc?)
Also what kind of disc is the camcorder producing.. an AVCHD disc? or Data disc
Data disc should be fine
If so AVCHD dics are not normally playable unless you have a softare buray player on the system PMB should though
but
Im suspecting that your DVD-RW are being wriitten in a version UDF 2 ( the disc format ) whilst doing HD which XP/ SP2 cannot read, there is a hotfix for this though
Even dta disc then have a problem as OS are by no means guaranteede to read all UDF versions
In all this is one of the reasons Im not hot on DVD camcorders.. but Vista and supports them all
Have a look at PMBs fomating options and see if the answer lies there

Last edited:
I'm using a AVCHD but the manual for the camera doesn't mention data discs.

It says AVCHD is for HD and DVD is for SD.

And no i cannot copy via the USB

Thanks
Chris

Try using a once only disc then and see
Also do you use Vista?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom