Sony HDR-SR5E

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by BMF, Sep 12, 2007.

1. BMF

BMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got one of these and want to know what is the best way to backup?

Also is it possible to burn discs which will play on a normal HD player and not blueray?

What software is recomended for editing? Pinnacle/corel etc etc?

Just getting started as you can see!

2. vib ribbon

vib ribbon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi,

I just got one of these for my Birthday. Pretty chuffed with it (got it from the US so the price made it even sweeter!)

I back up my movies from the camcorder to my PC and have also burnt some copies to disc. - Did yours come with the docking cradle? - if so, have a go at the 'Burn Disc' feature button, quite fancy.

A normal DVD or even a HD-DVD player will not be able to play back the High Def movies you take with this camcorder - only Blu Ray players and PC's with relevant playback software will be able to play back the movies, this is because they are in a format only they can read. You can backup these files to a normal DVD - but again, you can only playback on blu ray player and PC.

However, you can record in standard definition with this camcorder - so with the proper software you could playback your 'SD' movies on a DVD player.

I just got Sony Vegas to do the editing - not used it much but it seems to do everything i want...

3. BMF

BMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the cradle with it.

I was thinking of backing everything up on a 500 gb HD until the Blueray players come down in price, or using a media player with the HD.

So the Vegas is good then? Never done video editing before, how hard is it?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm a Vegas user and I think it is good... though different people have different opinions as to which editor they prefer.

Regardless of which package you use, there will be a learning curve. I'd say that basic video editing is not very hard, but the user interface and flow of which ever tool will take some getting used to.

5. BMF

BMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, going to get the platinum I think

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, Platinum is the one to get.

7. dyoken

dyoken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So I was so excited to get the SONY HDR-SR5E and we have all this new Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 editing software (bundled with all kinds of other programs: ENCORE, AFTER AFFECTS,etc) to edit all the new High Definition material.

This past week we finally got the Sony cameras up and running....I get back to the PC workstation, download the files from the cameras...and I am so excited because they are already in file format and now I am thinking "Jeez this saves SO much time, versus having to capture the material from mini-dv in real time"

WELL I import the files into Adobe CS3 and then I can do NOTHING with them, because the file format from the cameras AVCHD 1080i are in something called .m2ts file format and can not be read properly in Adobe...although Adobe claims it will read .m2t but seems that is very different from .m2ts

I will just die if we have to go out and buy Sony Vegas software that is supposed to handle the .m2ts format. Also I was about to buy Pinnicle video editing software (simplier and less expensive than Adobe CS3 and supposedly works with .m2ts files) but was told that I should really get the Adobe PP CS3

Seems we will have to purchase this Elecard software that converts the .m2ts files to mpeg so we can work with the material in Adobe...

hhttp://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/converter-studio-avchd/

but the time it takes to convert the files is long and we are back at the same time concept as having to capture from mini-dv in real time! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

8. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have this camera & I had a problem with Vegas - I tried the demo version and it would not recognise m2ts, even though it supports it! I went on to the sony forums and found a few other people with the same problem and there was at the time no fix.

However, this problem seems to be rare and linked to a problem with the pc rather than the software or the camera. So you'll probably be ok with it. I haven't given up on Vegas - I'm expecting a free copy in the post from Sony (special offer dating to before x-mas).

For the moment, I've been doing playback from the camera and the picture quality is excellent :smashin:. I actually have a spare high end pc (Dell delivered two by accdent :) ) - so I'm going to intall this into the living room for my HD viewing pleasure and archiving. I think for archiving, the m2ts file format is excellent because it is so highly compressed - the format might have its gremlins - but the file footprint is fantastic. But if you are going to let your movies reside on your hard drive, I'd get a backup drive or burn m2ts to DVDs as raw files.

9. dreamno7

dreamno7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi. i just bought a sony HDR-SR5E myself & i just can't burn one single dvd. after 50% it always tells me that there's an error with the dvd authoring tool. can you please let me know what can i do? do i have to add some other software? i wasted so many blank dvd's. on the manual they make it look so easy yet i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. thanks for your time

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620