Sony HDR-SR5E. Some advice and questions

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by lacost69, Sep 18, 2007.

1. lacost69

lacost69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I Have been reading this forum for a long time now and it has always influenced my purchases and answered all my questions, however, this time I need a bit of help.

I am currently pondering purchasing a new camcorder in the January sales.
    I currently have a JVC GR-D70EK that uses mini dv cassettes. Its been a brilliant camcorder for me over the years but I fancy something a little less chunky and something a little more up-to-date.

With my JVC, I used to transfer my recorded footage to my pc and edit it using Pinnacle software. I used to enjoy doing this but my pc was always slow and used to crash when rendering the final project. I since gave up on it and started connecting the camcorder straight to my tv and simply burning the footage un-edited onto a DVD using my dvd recorder. I am quite happy doing this as I only record family/holiday/Christmas footage.

I have a HD Samsung plasma.
    I also have a normal sd dvd recorder.

I am thinking of purchasing the Sony HDR-SR5E as I would like to record in HD and view them back on my plasma. I would also like to back it up onto dvd.
    Now, here is where it gets technical (for a novice like me anyway!)

My questions are:
    Can I connect the camcorder to my Samsung Plasma and view the footage in HD?
    If I connect the camcorder to my plasma and as it is playing on the plasma can I then record straight onto a normal DVD disc using my dvd recorder? (Obviously recording in SD)?

Thanks for your time and any advice is appreciated
    PAUL

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Can I connect the camcorder to my Samsung Plasma and view the footage in HD?

Yes. The SR5 will output HD over either HDMI or component video.

If I connect the camcorder to my plasma and as it is playing on the plasma can I then record straight onto a normal DVD disc using my dvd recorder? (Obviously recording in SD)?

The camcorder can only output either HD or SD at a given time over a single output. So you can't watch in HD and record SD at the same time. You could connect the camcorder to your DVD recorder and watch what you are recording (in SD) on the plasma.

3. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    is the sr5 different to hc1s and fx-7s i watch in hdv while recording to standard dvd on my dvd recorder.chris

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes it's different; SR5 is AVCHD/HDD. It doesn't have the DV out/downconversion that HDV cams do.

With a HDV cam, yes you could have it output HD over analogue or HDMI and at the same time output downconverted DV over Firewire into a DVD recorder. I don't believe this is possible with the SR5.

5. lacost69

lacost69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    redsox mark

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm....
    If I was to record something in HD can I connect the camcorder to my dvd recorder which would then playback the HD footage in SD and then record the footage to a DVD (obviously in SD) ?

If that IS the case then I will be buying this camera.

Thanks for your time

PAUL

6. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    yes i see its given as having video out svideo out and hdmi out ,no firewire, i did not see mention of a usb so i dont know how it captures,but it says that only hd capture.
    also the avchd using enclosed software high def footage can be copied to dvd media .however dvd media containing avchd footage should not be used with dvd players or recorders as they may fail to eject the media and may erase its contents witout warning.make waht you will of that.chris

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes. The camcorder (via the analogue outputs) can be configured to output either HD or SD. So you shoot HD, but configure the SR5 to output SD, and connect the SR5 to your DVD recorder (using composite video, S-Video, or component video).

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Right... for HDD camcorders it's technically not "capture" but a file copy to get the footage from camcorder to a PC, and that is done via USB.

9. lacost69

lacost69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much redsox mark

10. parthkashyap

parthkashyap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am planning to buy a hig defination HDD camcoder, it's the 1st time that i am purchasing one. I looked on the internet to find a few of them with 30-40GB HDD . This wouuld store 3-4 hrs of HD video.
    My query is how to store all these videos on a DVD or a computer and how much space would they consume ??

Thnaks
    Parth

11. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    If you take the 40 GB SR5 as an example

Highest Quality (15 MB): 5 hours 20 min
    High Quality (9MB): 9 hours 40 min
    Standard Quality (7 MB) 11 hours 50 min

To store them on a PC you'll want to keep them in the original format, so you can do the maths... about 7.5 GB per hour in the highest quality mode.

12. parthkashyap

parthkashyap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about burning them to normal DVD's
    Also do we get some s/w along with the camera to compress them for biewing on normal TV

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    This is 2 different things. You can store the original files on an ordinary DVD disc... doing the same maths at the highest quality setting you can fit just under 40 minutes. You can also play these High Def files from that disc in a PS3 or a Blu-ray player.

Yes the camcorder comes with software which both copies HD clips and can convert them down to SD.

Once converted to SD, it is just like any other SD DVD... you can fit about 1 hour on a DVD at best quality.

14. kch

kch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a couple of questions:

(a) once you have shot some HD footage and backed up to another HDD via PC/laptop, can you load the backed up HD footage back onto the camera to then play on your HD TV (I currently have a HD TV, but no HD DVD player).

(b) can you play your HD footage from your camera on a SD TV (via a SD connection i.e. SCART) ?

thanks in advance

15. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes to (b).

(a) I'm not sure...

16. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I would think you probably can, as long as you haven't edited the raw AVCHD files.