Sony HDR-SR5E 40GB High Definition Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dprasanth, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dprasanth

dprasanth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Based on the reviews, my requirements & budget I have decided to purchase Sony HDR-SR5E 40GB High Definition Camcorder. I have a HD TV so I can playback the videos without any issues (additional cable purchase maybe required). My question is once I record in High Definition format, is there any way I can play the recording on Standard Definition TV. Please let me know. Thank you.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes - the camcorder has output settings to convert to standard def on output (via AV, component, or S-Video).

You can also convert it to a standard def format on a PC, e.g. create a SD DVD.

3. dprasanth

dprasanth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do I create a SD DVD? As I understand the files generated by AVCHD recording are *.mts (not mpeg-2). Do I need some sort of AVCHD -> MPEG-2 convertor?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yes, you need to convert in software. Any of the main video editors which already support AVCHD will do this (currently Sony Vegas/Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, Pinnacle 11, Ulead 11). AVCHD support in other apps (like Premiere/Premiere Elements) is coming soon.

5. BMF

BMF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The camera includes software which does the conversion. Great camera by the way, been a superb buy!

6. shaygold

shaygold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if i'm wrong - nut by doing that, won't we miss the point of HD recording? If I understand it correctly - we record HD, then convert to SD for dvd burning, and then - deleting the original file from the camera hard-disc, and will permanently loose the HD quality. In this case - perhaps we should consider the HC5/7 model - were at least we can keep the original HD quality on tapes for archiving...

Or am I totaly wrong....?

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    If you did that, yes you would miss the point... but of course you don't want to lose the HD original.

The OP said he/she has a HDTV, so I assume he/she will save and watch the HD original. (This can be done a number of ways - a PC playing from a HDD, writing the AVCHD to a DVD disc and playing on a PS3 of Bluray player, converting to HDV format and playing on a HD-DVD player (or PS3/Bluray), playing from one of many media players etc). But to share with friends who don't have the HD kit then you would need to downconvert to SD.

You are right that one advantage of HDV cams is that you have an instant HD archive (just save the tapes)... with AVCHD you need to save them to HDD (or multiple HDD for backup), and/or to DVD.

8. shaygold

shaygold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if it has been asked before...

I'm trying to find (via google) and download an ORIGINAL AVCHD format with fewm minutes of video so I can try it on my computer for viewing, and do the conversion to SD so I can see the differences and decide what to buy HC5/7 (archiving the original tapes) or SR5/7 and archive the AVCHD format for future DVD HD player I might purchase.....

Thanks!!!!!
    Shay.

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  10. shaygold

shaygold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!!
    files quality do look impressive on my pc!
    I have started converting them to mpeg2 using nero vision and burn them on a dvd media to see the actual result on my Panasonic 42" SD plasma.

Depends today's output quality - I will decide whether I'll buy SR5/7 or not..

Thanks!!!!!!!
    Shay.

11. dprasanth

dprasanth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will shoot in HD to enjoy on my HD TV. But to share with my parents (who live in India) I need to convert to SD who are yet to upgrade their TV to HD.

For any one interested in buying this, the cheapest I found so far is at KK Electronics - £539.99

Link - http://www.kkelectronics.co.uk/View...80i%20HD%20movie%20for%20up%20to%2015%20hours.

12. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    You don't own kkelectronics, do you by any chance? :rolleyes:

13. dprasanth

dprasanth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if I owned KK electronics I wouldnt be asking if SR5E is a good HD camera. I just stumbled across KK while looking for a good price. The next best I found is purely gadgets £565 + delivery.

I got SR1 reserverd for £499.99 (I dont own Argos!!), what do you reckon is a good one. SR1 @ £499.99 or SR5 @ £570

14. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    SR1, without a shadow of a doubt. Especially at that price. If I could find one, I'd buy one.

15. dprasanth

dprasanth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While looking for SR1 on argos I found few available still in some Yorkshire stores (if the distance is ok for you). I think wakefield or york. Try again.

16. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Off to Portugal at four in the morning so haven't got time to go and get one. Thanks, though, anyway. :)