Sony HDr-Sr10e

nerdherd

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi , I wanted to purchase the hdrsr10e from play for £519.99 http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...t.html?searchstring=+HDR-SR10E&searchsource=0 .

I have since found it for only £450ish from from walmart ( I am going to america in a month) so I would probably get it there.

I just have a couple of questions :

1. I have read that it it'nt compatible with imovie 08?

2. If I get it from america , will it work here???

3. is it a good camcorder as I have read mixed reviews.?
4. anyone know where the cheapest place to buy it is??

Thanks!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hi , I wanted to purchase the hdrsr10e from play for £519.99 http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...t.html?searchstring=+HDR-SR10E&searchsource=0 .

I have since found it for only £450ish from from walmart ( I am going to america in a month) so I would probably get it there.

I just have a couple of questions :

1. I have read that it it'nt compatible with imovie 08?
Why not? Is there any issue with Sonys AVCHD and imovie 08?

2. If I get it from america , will it work here???
It will, to HDTV via component or HDMI. Maybe not to a PAL TV using composite: but then you weren't planning on doing that were you?;)

3. is it a good camcorder as I have read mixed reviews.?
It is good AFAIK, it just seems the SR11/12 seem better ( and cost more) Ive only played with it in a shop and it seemed well sorted TBH

Why not? Is there any issue with Sonys AVCHD and imovie 08?

It will, to HDTV via component or HDMI. Maybe not to a PAL TV using composite: but then you weren't planning on doing that were you?;)

It is good AFAIK, it just seems the SR11/12 seem better ( and cost more) Ive only played with it in a shop and it seemed well sorted TBH

thanks for the reply , I read that about imovie on an amazon.com review.

anyone else got anything to add?

all replies are appreciated!

thanks for the reply , I read that about imovie on an amazon.com review.

anyone else got anything to add?

all replies are appreciated!

All it says on Amazon is how easy and well it works with iMovie 08!!! So I don't know what you read:confused:

However make certain you have an Intel based Mac as otherwise it might not work....

hi again , That was on the us amazon i think , only one review though.

just another Q , I have read that to play the hd footage you can only burn a disc ad play it in a bluray player?

Would i not be able to edit it in imovie???

i have also read that the footage is stuttery when played back on a computer , I have a 2ghz imac with 1gb ram ( will be 4 before i get the camcorder)

can someone clarify?

hi again , That was on the us amazon i think , only one review though.
It was wrong

just another Q , I have read that to play the hd footage you can only burn a disc ad play it in a bluray player?
You can play the files on a PC, ( or Mac),and use them as HTPC, a PS3 ( burnt to a DVD disc as a data disc, or arthoired as an "AVCHD disc" ( in its BD player mode) or any media player capable of playing Hi def disc ( eg Popcorn hour)
You can certainly get a DVD burner and discs and with appropriate software use BD discs as well
Would i not be able to edit it in imovie???
Im not sure what you mean,:confused: I thought my post and JPs above have already established that it can
i have also read that the footage is stuttery when played back on a computer , I have a 2ghz imac with 1gb ram ( will be 4 before i get the camcorder)
can someone clarify?
I would download some AVCHD footage to test on your Mac. Footage is hard to play on a non core duo PC,

A lot of your queries have been discussed at length in threads recently past under AVCHD.. I would search them for a bit more detail as your queries seem not to be specific to the SR10 as such

It was wrong

You can play the files on a PC, ( or Mac),and use them as HTPC, a PS3 ( burnt to a DVD disc as a data disc, or arthoired as an "AVCHD disc" ( in its BD player mode) or any media player capable of playing Hi def disc ( eg Popcorn hour)
You can certainly get a DVD burner and discs and with appropriate software use BD discs as well

Im not sure what you mean,:confused: I thought my post and JPs above have already established that it can

I would download some AVCHD footage to test on your Mac. Footage is hard to play on a non core duo PC,

A lot of your queries have been discussed at length in threads recently past under AVCHD.. I would search them for a bit more detail as your queries seem not to be specific to the SR10 as such

thanks for the help ,my imac is an intel core2duo 2ghz sho i guess it should be fine , i will try the things you suggested.

I just bought a sr10e , will be delivered tomorrow.

i got it from amazon at £520 , I was considering the TG3 but at £629 it was a bit over budget. However the Tg3 has just been reduced to £556 on amazon and I am wandering wether or not to return the sr10 and get the tg3? what does everyone else think?

It depends on what you want. They have the same sensor; similar lens - similar quality. If you want the small size and solid state, then yes switch to the TG3. If you want a HDD cam, keep the SR10.

As Mark says....Do you want to carry it in your pocket of your jeans or not? That's really the consideration...And then how important is that to you.....If it is yes all the way, the TG3 is the one to get...

just got it now , gonna keep it.

I'm just wandering if you can record in hi def but put it on a normal dvd to play it in sd in a normal dvd player , I will be using a mac.

Or can I just burn a disc to play in a blu ray player or ps3?

Yes you can convert the video to standard definition MPEG2, and create a SD DVD video. I don't use a Mac but I'm sure iMovie can convert.

Or you can make high def discs, but they won't play on an ordinary DVD player; will play on a PS3 or Bluray player.

Or you can make high def discs, but they won't play on an ordinary DVD player; will play on a PS3 or Bluray player.

do u need a blu ray burner for this then?

do u need a blu ray burner for this then?
No .. you just need software capable of authoring "AVCHD discs" ( Eg Ulead Movie Factory 6 plus)
These are ordinary DVD discs with a BD movie structure on them
You do need
BD playback software
A PS3
or Compatible BD player to play the back though

just got it now , gonna keep it.

I'm just wandering if you can record in hi def but put it on a normal dvd to play it in sd in a normal dvd player , I will be using a mac.

Or can I just burn a disc to play in a blu ray player or ps3?

No .. you just need software capable of authoring "AVCHD discs" ( Eg Ulead Movie Factory 6 plus)
These are ordinary DVD discs with a BD movie structure on them
You do need
BD playback software
A PS3
or Compatible BD player to play the back though

On the Mac, you can use Toast 9 to 'author' a Blu-Ray disc on a normal DVD I think. I haven't tried it yet....That DVD can then be played in a PS3 for example...

Alternatively when you import the footage into iMovie you can edit as normal and send to iDVD and it will automatically down scale to fit on a standard DVD....

Very easy to operate, it basically just integrates as per normal in the Apple Media Browser following import and thus makes it available to all Media Browser aware applications like iLife and Apple Pro Apps and .Mac and a variety of other third party apps....Very good and easy integration, though please note that Apple transcodes to its Apple Intermediate Codec or Prores 422 codec and that will increase the file size a little....I just move my events to an external hard drive....

I use this camera. I love it. Basically to do what you are wanting I use Sony Vegas. Cost about $80. Its very useful - the only Mac equivalent seems to be Final Cut which is a little pricey.

On your DVD Burning - as this is a hard disc based camera, since getting it I have not burnt a DVD. Instead I transfer all my edited movies to the PS3 (£220 pre-owned from Game) - much easier - also I upload a copy of each on in 720p High - definition format to www.vimeo.com/jbm so I can share them with friends.

Overall, the DVD for home movies for me is dead this is a much easier way of saving, viewing and sharing your movies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom