• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HDR - HC3

F

feffs

Hi folks.

Right I have decided to go for the above. Its looking like http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk is the best bet as they are the cheapest by a bit. Anyone had any dealings with them?

Also can someone recommend some must have purchases with the camcorder? Does it come with an HD tape or do I need to buy one??

Thanks in advance and happy xmas :)

jwramsay

Established Member
Could try Jessops for a pricematch, but it seems that the 110% pricematch is limited to DSLRs only now.

Just but the Sony DV tapes from Amazon.co.uk, 10 for 15 quid (free delivery).

I purchased a bag for mine from Jessops too, was £19.99, holds the Sony + my camera + tapes etc.

F

feffs

Great thanks for the info. Just thinking though that as its HD then I will probably need an HD tape. Think they are about 14 quid for 1. I have tried to phone the supplier to see if it comes with one but cant get through.

Can anyone who has bought one let me know what tape it comes with please?

Ty :)

mmace

Established Member
Litterally just ordered an HC3, but not from there!

I was going to buy from onestop-shop at £620 (as shown on the gadget show this Monday), but they are based in Hong Kong, don't accept returns and you have to pay import & VAT and then claim it back!
Then I tried eBuyer (£640) but they are now out of stock. Next up was Purely Gadgets, says it in stock, everything looks OK, went to pay and 4 times it said my details are wrong (they weren't, I know what I'm doing, I buy online every day), I phoned them up and got a foreign person who couldn't understand me and kept talking over me saying I need to put the correct address in (I had done!), I ended up having a big argument with a manager and will never use them

ended up buying from Amazon for £699, going to buy a battery (FP90) from eBay for £20 inc postage, already have loads of DV tapes

F

feffs

I was going to buy from onestop-shop at £620 (as shown on the gadget show this Monday), but they are based in Hong Kong, don't accept returns and you have to pay import & VAT and then claim it back!
Then I tried eBuyer (£640) but they are now out of stock. Next up was Purely Gadgets, says it in stock, everything looks OK, went to pay and 4 times it said my details are wrong (they weren't, I know what I'm doing, I buy online every day), I phoned them up and got a foreign person who couldn't understand me and kept talking over me saying I need to put the correct address in (I had done!), I ended up having a big argument with a manager and will never use them

ended up buying from Amazon for £699, going to buy a battery (FP90) from eBay for £20 inc postage, already have loads of DV tapes

Thanks MMace. Do you know if it comes with any tapes at all? I will be inclined to buy some HD ones. More expensive but seems little point having a HD cam and no HD tapes. I tried to get though to Pureleygadgets on the phone as opposed to ordering on line...waited in a queue for 10 mins, got to position 1 and then got cut off. great!

jwramsay

Established Member
It doesn't come with a tape.

You do know that you can record HDV onto normal DV tapes, but if you are determined to pay £14 a tape feel free.

F

feffs

Hi - No didnt. I sadly know absolutley nothing about anything camcordery. Thanks for the heads up.

One of the features on the HD DV tape says "High definition recording" so assumed thats what the HD cam would require.

jwramsay

Established Member

Saw that on the Gadget show, then I tried froogle, couldn't get that 619 price.

I bought mine a month ago from Jessops when they has the 110% pricematch promise, they pricematched Purelygadgets and discounted 10% of the difference, so £651 IIRC.

Used this camera last night at the old school concert, when the lights were up, the picture quality was superb, lights turned down, obviously not as good, but better than my old D8 camcorder.

Filmed 50 mins using LCD at HDV level, still loads of battery left (41mins). Wasn't zooming much though.

Still, could do with a spare (bigger) battery, but was put off Ebay because I read that Sony are constantly changing the infolithium codes on the HC-3, thus some batteries may be rejected by the camcorder.

mmace

Established Member
search froogle for: sony hdr-hc3
sort the results by price, low to high, go to page 2

I wouldn't recommend using them though and can't believe the Gadget Show used them as a price guide, they obviously didn't look into the company!

mmace

Established Member
Just got a NP-FP90 del this morn for £13.05 from http://www.battech.co.uk/p1001/SONY-InfoLithium-P-Series-2400-mAh/product_info.html

Although todays price shows £19.99 . Says it will work with HC3.
I wouldn't trust them since they call it a laptop battery in the description, makes you wonder if they know what they're selling!

plus, this bit's confusing too:
Capacity: 2400mAH
Most other manufacturers sell this laptop battery at 2400 mAh. Here at Battech International we are pleased to offer it at 1850 mAH meaning longer runtime when you need it the most.

lurcher

Prominent Member
Yes I wondered if they knew what they were selling , but at £13.05 del I was happy to take a chance. Battery charged up and shows 251 mins ( SR 90 ) and now on permanent record to see what it does ( 2400 rated ) .
I have bought a M series battery for the HC1E from this company before and was pleased with the 300 + mins from a sub £15 battery.
Prices have gone up though.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
One of the features on the HD DV tape says "High definition recording" so assumed thats what the HD cam would require.

You can use any DV tape - the quality will be the same, the only possible difference is higher quality tapes are less prone to drop outs, see this thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416633

If you want to buy HDV tapes you can get the Sony ones for £7 here
http://www.aprmedia.com/product.php?pid=2588
Shipping is reasonable too (5 tapes is £37.01 delivered).

F

feffs

Cheers for the input. I have ordered from pureleygadgets for 660. I managed to get through to them first on the phone to confirm that they have them in stock and that the delivery time will be 5-7 days which i can live with.

Am going to look through the forum now and try and find out what the best movie edditing software is for High Def. From what I have read so far theres not alot out there. Ive got nero 7 and Adobe elements at the moment...

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Adobe Premiere elements 3.0 has HDV support. I'm not sure about 2.0.

And there are others: Sony Vegas, Ulead Video Studio. HDV editing support is pretty good, it is the new AVCHD where there aren't many options

coolmp3

Established Member
Hi Guys, i would just like to highlight an issue with non-Sony batteries. Sony have changed the code built into there batteries which means non-sony ones will not work. I now have the HC3 and it's uses the same battery as my DVD403E. The 2 non-sony ones i have for it only work for a few second then the camera switches off. I have also read this problem on the net some where. From what i read it only affects HC3's made after august. I will try and find the link on the net again and post it here.
Hope it helps

jwramsay

Established Member

I bought mine a month ago from Jessops when they has the 110% pricematch promise, they pricematched Purelygadgets and discounted 10% of the difference, so £651 IIRC.

Used this camera last night at the old school concert, when the lights were up, the picture quality was superb, lights turned down, obviously not as good, but better than my old D8 camcorder.

Filmed 50 mins using LCD at HDV level, still loads of battery left (41mins). Wasn't zooming much though.

Still, could do with a spare (bigger) battery, but was put off Ebay because I read that Sony are constantly changing the infolithium codes on the HC-3, thus some batteries may be rejected by the camcorder.

Just edited my HDV on Vegas, basically only transitions for this one, betwwen the various clips.

As it's audience will be mothers/fathers who will only have DVD players, I'm converting it to MPEG2 using BEST, DV-PAL 16:9, 384Kbps DD 2.0 audio, 2 pass.

51 mins of HDV, guess how long my Dell PentiumD 820 (dual-core but *not* core-2-duo) with 2Gb RAM is going to take to do the conversion ....

5.5 hrs @ 100%/100% CPU!

As for the batteries, yes I read that the latest HC-3s reject the clones.

jwramsay

Established Member
Oh meant to add, I have captured a "Beadle" moment, one of the young kids falls backwards off a bench and does the dying fly as the audience he-haw and laugh, so this HC-3 could be paying for itself soon:devil:

(250 quid per clip)

senu

Distinguished Member
Adobe Premiere elements 3.0 has HDV support. I'm not sure about 2.0.

And there are others: Sony Vegas, Ulead Video Studio. HDV editing support is pretty good, it is the new AVCHD where there aren't many options

True ..Adobe Premiere Elements Ver 2 has no HDV support. otherwise

There is actually " a lot out there" for HDV .In Practical terms,nothing for AVCHD
Ulead VS 10, Roxio media Studio 9 suite are a few others

Pinnacle Studio 10 does too as does the more upmarket Avid Liquid 7, Pinnacle Liquid edition 6.1.
Sony Vegas 7 ( and MVS) is much better at HDV editing than ver 6 .I say this because you will find ver 6 at a discounted price and while a fantastic software, you may be better off shelling out for ver 7 If you are interested in HDV editing. The higher end Adobe Products ( Premiere Pro 2) and Canopus Edius as well as FCP for the mac also support HDV edioting

A lot of ground covered in this thread is also here and here too

AverageJoe

Standard Member
********!

just ordered a camera and a clone battery this morning!

mmace, got my HC3 yesterday. I'd be interested to know how you get on with the battech clones, although they state on their site that it is ok in Sony HDR-HC3E so I suppose if it doesn't work it can always go back.

mmace

Established Member
mmace, got my HC3 yesterday. I'd be interested to know how you get on with the battech clones, although they state on their site that it is ok in Sony HDR-HC3E so I suppose if it doesn't work it can always go back.
I ordered mine from a UK seller on eBay, not the site mentioned before!

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
I'm converting it to MPEG2 using BEST, DV-PAL 16:9, 384Kbps DD 2.0 audio, 2 pass.

51 mins of HDV, guess how long my Dell PentiumD 820 (dual-core but *not* core-2-duo) with 2Gb RAM is going to take to do the conversion ....

5.5 hrs @ 100%/100% CPU!

Yea, that sounds about right. Rescaling the video from HD down to SD is processor intensive.... and using "Best" takes longer (but is worth it).
If you want to save some time, given the length of your video there is no real advantage to 2-pass encoding, you could just use CBR. 2-pass VBR is useful when using lower bitrates to squeeze more on the disc, so it spends the bits in the best way. But if you can use the max bitrate anyway it's not needed.

jwramsay

Established Member
I am so pleased with the MPEG2 that Vegas 7.0 produced at BEST, and also with the performance of the Sony HC-3, even in the dark conditions.

Well worth the 5+ hrs wait!

mmace

Established Member
Yea, that sounds about right. Rescaling the video from HD down to SD is processor intensive.... and using "Best" takes longer (but is worth it).
If you want to save some time, given the length of your video there is no real advantage to 2-pass encoding, you could just use CBR. 2-pass VBR is useful when using lower bitrates to squeeze more on the disc, so it spends the bits in the best way. But if you can use the max bitrate anyway it's not needed.
how long do you think it would take to convert 30 mins HDV 50i to 1920x1080 24p on a pentium D 3.4Ghz (again, dual core but not core 2 duo) with either 1Gb DDR2 or 3Gb DDR2 (have 1Gb at the moment but will be getting another 2Gb around Christmas time)

I have access to Premiere Pro 2, Vegas 7, Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8, Nero etc

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom