Sony HDR HC3 replacement ?

SuperSportBilly

Our Sony HDR HC3 stopped working a little while ago - LCD screen blinking blue / black lines. I investigated getting it repaired but it was going to cost £250+ so I gave up.

We haven't really recorded any footage in the last 18 months or so except video on handheld cameras which just doesn't feel the same - takes up all the room on the SD card and never gets transferred consisting of random small clips.

So I'm back to salvaging the HC3 or getting a replacement.

We have 20 plus tapes since my son was born which I nver transferred to PC - we just watched via HDMI out from the camcorder to the TV in HD.

Without a camera I can't transfer or view that footage.

I will investigate self repairing the HC3 screen but it looks a tricky job if it is indeed just the screen.

I could do with a replacement for my wife's birthday party and as a present so she can view the old tapes again.

I understand that the Canon RV30 and RV40 can play the HDV tapes recorded on the Sony. I can pick one of those up 2nd hand for around £330-£350. I have also seen a Sony HDR HC1E which I think I could get for around £300. The consumer HD mini DV camcorders seem quite rare now.

I have been out of the loop so long that I have no idea which would be the better choice. I need the camera to record new footage, to play the already recorded footage direct to TV and to allow me to transfer those old tapes to the PC to avoid this problem in the future.

Another alternative is to pay to have the tapes transferred at £5-£10 per tape and just buy a new style SD card / HDD camcorder.

Cheers

jwramsay

Another alternative would be to buy an external HDD and courier that and the tapes to me and I'll use my HC-3 to digitize them for you?

I too have moved on but my HC3 (which the screen has packed in on totally!) can still be used to digitise using Firewire and Vegas.

I upgraded to an SD-based Panasonic SDC750B, which is full 1080p HD with 5.1 DD surround from the onboard mic. The picture quality is just superb! The image stabilization is amazing.

SD card is just so much handier than DV Tape. (which had the obvious advantage of being it's own backup mechanism)

John Lewis

Novice Member
if its any help i hava a HC3E which i was thinking of selling, no box or manual but everything else is there.
£220 incl postage

Last edited:

SuperSportBilly

Another alternative would be to buy an external HDD and courier that and the tapes to me and I'll use my HC-3 to digitize them for you?

I too have moved on but my HC3 (which the screen has packed in on totally!) can still be used to digitise using Firewire and Vegas.

I upgraded to an SD-based Panasonic SDC750B, which is full 1080p HD with 5.1 DD surround from the onboard mic. The picture quality is just superb! The image stabilization is amazing.

SD card is just so much handier than DV Tape. (which had the obvious advantage of being it's own backup mechanism)

Wow thanks for the offer but ideally I would like to get a camera and an ability to play the tapes by next weekeend - my wife's birthday !

Thanks anyway though.

SuperSportBilly

if its any help i hava a HC3E which i was thinking of selling, no box or manual but everything else is there.
£220 incl postage

Not completely sold on another HC3 given the problems they seem to have but that would sort out my dilemma so that I can play the tapes and have a camcorder for my wife`s birthday and Christmas for my son.

So Yes please £220 incl delivery.

I can pay by Bank Transfer or paypal - will probably have to set up a For Sale thread I guess.

Cheers

ljphil78

Do you need the screen to transfer to a PC? If i connect mine by Firewire i can control everything from the pc.
Have you got any video editing software, i've always used sony vegas.

chrishull3

I understand that the Canon RV30 and RV40 can play the HDV tapes recorded on the Sony

you meen HV30 and HV40 .they are great cams if you decide to stay with tape.

John Lewis

Novice Member
OK Billy take it to PM I cann accept Paypal

senu

Distinguished Member
Simple transaction fine but better to use classified ads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom