Sony HDR-HC3 not recognised by PC - please help

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have a (genuine) new, cleanish install of windows XP with SP2 installed. I built the PC myself and the firewire connector round the back is correctly connected to the motherboard.
When I plug my Sony camcorder in, nothing happens. I would expect the usual Plug & Play notification that a new device has been connected to my computer. Nothing.
Any idea what is happening?
(edit I have had a look around and it seems I need an msdv.sys camcorder driver for windows xp. This is not on my machine. Why wasn't this installed with SP2 and where do I get it installed from?)
Thanks

I can't remember what mine did the first time I connected it... but certainly now I don't get any visible notification when I connect the cam, but it connects fine.

Are you using it in HDV mode? If so, it should show as an AV/C tape device. (Note this is different then if you use it in DV mode). See attached. Do you see AV/C tape device on yours? Is it showing any problems?

Don't know about msdv.sys, I never needed to load anything (I'm on Xp SP2).

Attachments

• avc.jpg
    avc.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 245
Another thing - you can configure the HC3 to output DV, HDV, or "Auto" which should automatically select the correct one based on the contents of the tape. I've had some problems with "Auto", so I always set this to HDV.

My Camcorders ( Sony HC1, FX1 ,VX2100 and an older JVC.. ) and even a Digital 8 give the "ping" notification sound when the firewire connects ( and disconnects) and appear in " my computer" as an AvC subunit ( or something like that)
3 of these machines are self built too one is still on Sp1:rolleyes:!
The laptop on Vista ( :eek:) behaves similarly
With the HC3 it may be changing the output as Mark describes though

My HC1 never causes a "ping"... anyway my suggestion is to check if it shows up in the device manager (and try to use it with capture software) to see if the connection is actually working (or not).

No, the camera doesn't show up at all when I plug it in and switch it into video model. Nothing. And Sony Vegas doesn't see it. It's in HDV mode.

Im assuming the Camcorder is fine..Maybe the cable?
or
try it on another PC to rule out the Firewire connection on your PC
Then try it on another PC
and another camcorder on your PC

It really could be the Auto /HDV/DV out setting on the camcorder
The PCs firewire jack
The camcorders firewire jack
The firewire cable
or
Windows itself
Trial and error will soon say which it is

Tried 2 computers. Nowt on either.
Got an HDMI capture card arriving tomorrow. Maybe that will work.

I have always had the PING type noise when I connected my Sony HC-3 or older Sony Dig8 camcorder to a windows machine. It then gives the option of which application to open (Vegas/Windows Move Maker etc).

Same with my Vista machine.

Forgot to say, you get the ping just after you switch the Camcorder to ON.

If you aren't seeing anything happen in device manager (and on 2 PCs) it sounds like a hardware problem, e.g cable or the firewire port on the HC3 has failed. If it was a software/driver issue I'd expect to see it show in device manager but with an error.

I have always had the PING type noise when I connected my Sony HC-3 or older Sony Dig8 camcorder to a windows machine. It then gives the option of which application to open (Vegas/Windows Move Maker etc).

Same with my Vista machine.

Forgot to say, you get the ping just after you switch the Camcorder to ON.

.. or off

As Mark says though , in addition it should show in Devices manager as a Sony DV Camcorder .. and in "my computer"

See screengrabs Here

Just tried it in DV mode

Interestingly, this is exactly the same problem that I have/had with the HDR-HC1 that I bought from lurcher on these forums. Nothing I have tried works and so reluctantly I am sending him it back as he has agreed to refund me.

Interestingly, this is exactly the same problem that I have/had with the HDR-HC1 that I bought from lurcher on these forums. Nothing I have tried works and so reluctantly I am sending him it back as he has agreed to refund me.

I am eagerly awaiting the HC1E back from Ian to see if it is recognised by my laptop and connects to the DVD recorder as previous.

It's been picked up, Julian. I am using Russell Piper's Chesterpost, which is an affiliate of Parcelforce. It was picked up about half an hour ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom