1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HDR-HC1E HD Handycam

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Davidgilmour, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Anyone already played with this one ?

Its 1200 quid here in Amsterdam, that is quite cheap. Less than 7 years ago the Small JVC DR 1 handheld was 1800 quid...

2. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have one to shoot the kids with.

In context of it's price it's extremely good and produces great images.

Picture quality in good lighting is close to FX1, and can even be sharper in some cases.

The negatives, which can be forgiven for the price/size.
    Not so good in low light - 7Lux rating, so gets noisy with the gain applied.
    Sony AIS shoe instead of normal cold shoe, so mounting non Sony mic a pain
    Bottom loader
    Rolling shutter, if you shoot at high shutter speeds

More info at
    www.sonyhdvinfo.com

I paid £1200 at the local Sony Centre who priced matched.

3. Hessu

Hessu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get the HD picture from the camera to a HDTV? Can a component or HDMI cable be used straight from the camera to the TV?

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It is supplied with a component video lead. The audio is from the supplied composite+audio lead which is a pain since you need both cables simultaneouly connected so cannot leave an HD connection permanently connected to the TV if you use the SD lead for other TV's. Not ideal if the HD/Audio connectors on your TV are hard to reach. There is no HDMI output but there is USB/i-link/i-link:HDV for connection to a PC. I would like to think that i-link:HDV will become common on future HD recorders.

We paid £1145. Other than the above, my minor gripes are that it eats batteries, the eyepiece does not extend, the battery meter seems to drop suddenly from 30 minutes to flat in a matter of minutes and there is no alternative to using the touch screen LCD screen for many camera setings. Another minor issue is that auto focus can appear to get stuck and that the center of the picture can remain out of focus for a few critical moments.

But having used it on a recent trip to New Zealand, it produces excellent results and I especially like the ability to capture to memory stick direct from video at very acceptable quality for emailing etc. The picture can look a little washed out sometimes but this can be fixed by paying attention to white balance prior to filming.