Sony HDR-FX1000E purchase?

M Stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
MiniDV thread
I've been filming to HDV for a few years, using a Sony HDR-HC5E (10x zoom) and that's been supplemented by a Canon HV30 from about a year ago. (Useful for manual control over sound levels.) The HDR-FX1000E has a 20x zoom lens which could be useful when filming larger birds.
I'm now wondering what image quality benefits I would obtain by moving up to a 3-CMOS sensor Sony HDR-FX1000E.
I've downloaded the Operating Guide, so I know what features are offered, and the "film-look" isn't that important to me. Several of the features could be interesting to experiment with, but my query here is more about what improvements in image quality I could expect versus my HC5E, which does remarkably well in good light. I'd expect improvements from the FX1000E in low light, but would I also notice significant improvements in normal day light?
(The Sony Guides quote 2 lux (HC5E) versus 1.5 lux (FX1000E) as the minimum lux levels.)

Many thanks

Last edited:
MiniDV thread
I've been filming to HDV for a few years, using a Sony HDR-HC5E (10x zoom) and that's been supplemented by a Canon HV30 from about a year ago. (Useful for manual control over sound levels.) The HDR-FX1000E has a 20x zoom lens which could be useful when filming larger birds.
I'm now wondering what image quality benefits I would obtain by moving up to a 3-CMOS sensor Sony HDR-1000E.
I've downloaded the Operating Guide, so I know what features are offered, and the "film-look" isn't that important to me. Several of the features could be interesting to experiment with, but my query here is more about what improvements in image quality I could expect versus my HC5E, which does remarkably well in good light. I'd expect improvements from the FX1000E in low light, but would I also notice significant improvements in normal day light?
(The Sony Guides quote 2 lux (HC5E) versus 1.5 lux (FX1000E) as the minimum lux levels.)

Many thanks
HDV is still reasonably competitive but falling below the better 1920x1080P camcorder & cameras,All i can say is i once had an FX7 3 chip sony 20x zoom lovely cam but the old HV30 i still have but dont use out in field any more could beat its pq indoors and out,the FX7 was not as good indoors as the FX100E from reports.The best cam for indoor work i had was a min dv sony vx2000.AS for comparing the HC5E & FZ100E any gains would be in the colour not better resolution IMO.Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom