Sony HDR-CX625 but no 60p?

Caulnian

Standard Member
Hi guys. I just purchased the Sony Handycam HDR-CX625, but I dont see any option for 60p. Its clearly stated in the specifications and the manual that the camcorder support recording in 60p, but all I can select is 50p, 50i or 25p. I can choose between XAVC S HD and AVCHD formats, but that 60p option doesnt show. I have tried all the "Image Size"-settings but still no 60 fps. I dont know much about camcorders or video recording in general, but could this be a region issue? PAL/NTSC thing? I live en Denmark and both sthe Sony website and the retailers website states that it should be able to do 60p.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Specifications: Sony CX675 Handycam® with Exmor R™ CMOS sensor

rogs

There are very few (if any?) consumer camcorders that will allow both PAL and NTSC recording. There are some professional camcorders that do (although not many). So for consumer models it's one or the other.
The * and ** signs in this Sony article: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/113964

confirm two 'compatible devices' .. either '1080/60i' or '1080/50i'

So yes, almost certainly a region thing. The highest frame rate for your European PAL version will be 50p.

Caulnian

Standard Member
Damn, thats what I was afraid of. So it wont be easy for me to find a camcorder that shoots 60 fps in Europe?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Damn, thats what I was afraid of. So it wont be easy for me to find a camcorder that shoots 60 fps in Europe?

Why do you want to shoot 1080P60 ? Some DSLR's can be set to 50Hz and 60Hz recording.

For blu-ray compatibility you really need 1080p24 anyway.

Compact, action camcorders and mobile phones usually shoot at 60Hz (Check out the GoPro range). In fact it's a common complaint they do because it makes it difficult to incorporate footage on the same timeline in an editor.

GoPro Hero4 Black Specs

12harry

Distinguished Member
Whilst there is no hard evidence to link to, whenever I've used a GoPro I set it to single-shot or Movie . . . and I'm sure it works in PAL. In Sony Movie Studio v12 ( SMS) there seems to be no problem importing the clips ( or stills as a jerky movie ) on the Timeline.
Looking at "Properties" from a clip on the timeline suggests it is 12fps - but there is no hard evidence it's PAL . . . but then it's not showing like NTSC. I think it was Stills which SMS stitches together as a movie and Rendered before bringing it back for overall Editing, Titles, etc. . . . It was over 1-year ago, so others may have better up-to-date experience.

I would expect that GoPros bought in the UK, would be PAL for the reasons GLT has suggested; although SMS is tolerant - as far as I know.... you can mix different Standards - somewhere I read this is OK on the same Track - but even if you put it on its own track so you can apply any Global Fix like exposure . . . it should Render out OK. Maybe it just takes longer - dunno.
The GoPro website is very poor on "standards" IMHO and has been one reason I only borrow one, when essential! However, there is a tendency in the US to assume everyone used their Standards - although I understand PAL is a far better standard, certainly when broadcast was analogue. Perhaps the standard has been changed with Digital, so the issue has gone-away? ( Notionally the Frame-rate was sync'd tot he mains, but now it's probably a Crystal somewhere . . . the reason for staying with 50 fps was more to do with lighting causing Strobe effects.

In DVD Architect ( for DVD Authoring) I recall you can choose NTSC, so the disc will play in the US . . . but I suspect it will play here too, as most DVD players appear to have the appropriate electronics to decode . . . all very confusing, IF IT Matters.

My camcorder is marked underneath xxxxx50 , so I'm confident that is 50Hz, presumably recording PAL - but maybe the NTSC/PAL frames are just fiddled ( in Digital), and no-one really notices... PC Monitors are nearly all 60Hz, just to make things very confusing, as I use my UK-TV as a monitor and notice no flicker . . . . .

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Whilst there is no hard evidence to link to, whenever I've used a GoPro I set it to single-shot or Movie . . . and I'm sure it works in PAL. In Sony Movie Studio v12 ( SMS) there seems to be no problem importing the clips ( or stills as a jerky movie ) on the Timeline.
Looking at "Properties" from a clip on the timeline suggests it is 12fps - but there is no hard evidence it's PAL . . . but then it's not showing like NTSC. I think it was Stills which SMS stitches together as a movie and Rendered before bringing it back for overall Editing, Titles, etc. . . . It was over 1-year ago, so others may have better up-to-date experience.

I would expect that GoPros bought in the UK, would be PAL for the reasons GLT has suggested; although SMS is tolerant - as far as I know.... you can mix different Standards - somewhere I read this is OK on the same Track - but even if you put it on its own track so you can apply any Global Fix like exposure . . . it should Render out OK. Maybe it just takes longer - dunno.
The GoPro website is very poor on "standards" IMHO and has been one reason I only borrow one, when essential! However, there is a tendency in the US to assume everyone used their Standards - although I understand PAL is a far better standard, certainly when broadcast was analogue. Perhaps the standard has been changed with Digital, so the issue has gone-away? ( Notionally the Frame-rate was sync'd tot he mains, but now it's probably a Crystal somewhere . . . the reason for staying with 50 fps was more to do with lighting causing Strobe effects.

In DVD Architect ( for DVD Authoring) I recall you can choose NTSC, so the disc will play in the US . . . but I suspect it will play here too, as most DVD players appear to have the appropriate electronics to decode . . . all very confusing, IF IT Matters.

My camcorder is marked underneath xxxxx50 , so I'm confident that is 50Hz, presumably recording PAL - but maybe the NTSC/PAL frames are just fiddled ( in Digital), and no-one really notices... PC Monitors are nearly all 60Hz, just to make things very confusing, as I use my UK-TV as a monitor and notice no flicker . . . . .

Hope that helps.

The high end GoPro camcorders have both 50 and 60Hz based presets. Cheaper kit generally only 60Hz based recording. You cannot mix within the same file, one or the other must be converted by the software. DVD players in PAL countries will invariably play back 60Hz content (artificial region restrictions excepted).

GoPro Hero4 Black Specs

Blu-ray is different in that 24, 50 and 60Hz content is universally supported on players (they may have artificial regional restrictions on playback).

Progressive content on blu-ray though is limited to 24p (The only progressive content that is guaranteed to work is 1080p24 as found on all commercial BD discs). 50/60 fps content is generally only supported in interlaced formats except on newer players that have the later BD progressive specs.

You cannot master BD disks in 1080p60 or 1080p50 using Sony DVD Architect Pro (only 24Hz content is supported).

I don't follow your argument re lighting, the real situation is the reverse. Flourescent lighting and UK based camcorders are 50Hz based so can suffer the stroboscope effect. Industrial lighting for areas with rotating machinery use multi-phase lighting to avoid the stroboscopic effect.

No Digital Camcorder records PAL or NTSC. These are analogue TV standards. They merely retain the same framerate and resolution as the former analogue TV standards (720 x 625 lines PAL analogue equates to 720 x 576 in a digital camcorder (the missing lines on analogue do not carry picture data))

12harry

Distinguished Member
Thankyou for that GLT - I was referring to the strobe-effect caused by lighting if the frame-rates are not in sync.
I have version 12 of Movie Studio and in the Render lists it has several NTSC - and - PAL - Standards - from your description I must conclude these are only the frame-rates . . . so I wonder why they mention the analogue standard?
- Perhaps it's so ingrained -or- it helps Users to choose the right Render-Standard.?

I don't use BD discs, as it's easier to record to Memory Sticks.

I thought the GoPro ( in movie-mode) was set to 50Hz/PAL, but without the device in front of me, it's hard to be certain. However, when reading their Website stuff, I found it was somewhat vague..... enough for me to give-up an intended purchase.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom