Sony HDR-CX6

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Sixty, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sixty

Sixty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people,

i need to buy a camcorder that will be good in the low light situations and just saw this newly released sony hd camcorder. I dont know anything about camcorders so i will just say what i basically need. I work in a nightlife industry and i video clubs and bars in the evenings, so i need something small that wont be too heavy to carry for a couple of hours. i also need camera to have the ability to put an extra light on because sometimes clubs can be really dark, as well as microphone but that is less important. i would prefer flash memory instead hard disk, and my budget is £1000. would this new sony be good for this? or something else?

im going to buy it on monday so i would appreciate as much info as i can get until then.

thank you:)

2. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I don't think that the light will reach more than a few feet. And I don't think that the HDR-CX6 has a separate microphone input, though it is reported as having an accessory hot-shoe which will be able to take a proprietary Sony microphone (if you can find one).

As to whether the CX6 is good enough in low light situations to use in clubs (and the light really won't help you much), I really don't know. CCI doesn't like the low level performance of the sensor that this cam uses:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/conten...ssions-Camcorder-Review-29358/Performance.htm

But then, they are only supposing because Sony haven't given them one to test.

The only other hi-def (HD) camcorder that uses memory cards is the Panasonic HDC-SD1, and that does not have as good low light performance as the Canon HV20 (I have seen clips). Canon has brought out a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) camcorder based on the HV20, called the HG10, which may suit you if you can make do with HDD instead of memory cards. The Panasonic successor to the HDC-SD1 is the HDC-SD5 and that has smaller sensors (3 of them) than the HDC-SD1 so is unlikely to match the HV20 or the HG10. The HV20 is no good to you because it is a tape based camcorder, though there are many folk who'll say that tape still beats HDD. And of course there are many that say the opposite.

Sorry to have confused you.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    rhubarbe covered it well. I'll just add a few points….

Yes you can add a Sony AIS external mic to the AIS shoe; these do exist but there are only a couple of models. You can also add a light which uses the AIS shoe (but not both at the same time!). You can also add a non-AIS light using this http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=SSA or this http://www.keene.co.uk/electronics/multi.php?mycode=6831
    With the latter you can use a mic on the AIS shoe and a light at the same time.

I've not seen any CX6 footage or reviews, but I doubt it will be better than the HC7. Putting media aside, I believe the Canon HV20 (tape) has the best low light performance under £1000, especially when shooting in progressive mode. The HV20 weighs 535 grams, the CX6 weighs 370g. (Neither is particularly heavy, though the CX6 is indeed smaller and lighter).

When we talk about low light performance, it does vary between models, but the performance of all camcorders deteriorates in low light. And High Def models tend to be more sensitive to this; especially use of auto focus.

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    rhubarbes excellent post covers it mostly and Marks has suplimented that.
    I just wish to add that good HDD models will give tape a run for its money for quality but although more convenient are not better
    In the context of low light ability , the format( tape/HDD) matters less than the quality of camcorder but the examples of great low light camcorders just happen to be tape based
    Where the non tape examples need to catch up is the ability to fluidly get fast moving action with minimal artifarcts.. Im not sure this also relates to low light ability but thier technology is certainly fairly modern compared to tape
    Where possible any camcorder should be given enough light to do its job well

5. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Yes, and I agree. I think though that the AVCHD fast movement concern is that of motion trails, rather than artefacts per se. I have seen some beautiful clips from a Sony CX6, but they (IMHO) overstaurate the blue/green colours most oddly. I don't mean blue and green here, but blue-greens.

I was reviewing some footage from my HV10 earlier, and have to say that by comparison with the CX6, the HV10 was definitely softer in focus. OK, I was using auto focus but the manual focus on the HV10 is the work of an ambidextrous operator.

I have decided to go for the HDR-HC1e I am buying from lurcher (he'll be here in a bit) and a Panasonic HDC-SD7, so I am positioned right on top of the fence. I think that this pairing will give me the best of both worlds.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    As an aside, you may find the colour on the HC1 to be not saturated enough, especially the reds. I have the “Camera Colour” turned up a notch to address this.

7. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Thanks. I have taken about three minutes tonight by way of a test. Unless I hook it up to my LCD tonight I'll not find out until Monday because I don't have a Firewire cable at home.

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Agree
    The default colour setting is a bit conservative but it doesnt take much adjusting get it to "in your face " levels so use the menu camera colour slider conservatively:)