Sony HDMI - Component Cable - Does it upscale?

jcw_mc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok iv been searching about now and i understand that upscalling can only take place over a digitasl cable. Fair enough, but what if you where to use sonys hmdi - component cable for video and optical for sound. Would that upscale and still give you blu - ray audio and picture? I want to get play tv and also upscale my standard dvds but i dont have an hdmi port on my 720p plasma.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but its the only way i can think of this working

cheers

Hi jcw_mc, I think you've got a bit lost in the terminology but the short answer is "yes, component video cables can carry HD video".

It's actually the device (in your case the PS3? as you are in the PS3 forum) that upscales (converts one picture format to a higher definition picture format). The component cable can then carry that upscaled video to your TV.

The official Sony component cable supports well above the 720p of your plasma. See here.

Unless you've got a surround sound amp don't bother with an optical connection for audio and use the stereo audio on the cable.

Hope this helps, Stu :)

Hi jcw_mc, I think you've got a bit lost in the terminology but the short answer is "yes, component video cables can carry HD video".

It's actually the device (in your case the PS3? as you are in the PS3 forum) that upscales (converts one picture format to a higher definition picture format). The component cable can then carry that upscaled video to your TV.

The official Sony component cable supports well above the 720p of your plasma. See here.

Unless you've got a surround sound amp don't bother with an optical connection for audio and use the stereo audio on the cable.

Hope this helps, Stu :)

Yes - the component cable can carry HD pictures. But the OP question was about upscaling. So play a Blu-Ray or game on the PS3 and it will carry the HD signal via component just fine. But I think there's some commercial reason why it prevents DVD upscaling via component. Nothing to do with the technology which as you say is prefectly capable (although being analogue obviously not as good quality as HDMI). AFAIK all Blu-Ray players are the same - upscale fine over HDMI but not over component.

So the short answer to the OP (AFAIK) is no - you can't do it :(

On the upside though - the games and Blu-Rays will still come out in proper HD :)

im just running playstation connection - component into my amp at the moment and then component up to my tv but will the picture be any better if i use the sony hdmi - component cable? and will this allow the ps3 to upscale dvds as it wont allow upscalling through the playstation connection!

Sorry if these are stupid questions

I think you might be a little confused about the "Sony HDMI Component Cable".

The Sony Component lead connects to the AV multi out socket on the PS3, not the HDMI socket (they do look similar).

If you're using the component lead, as previously posted, it won't upscale DVD's as they are copy protected. The PS3 won't upscale unless it has a HDMI, HDCP enabled connection.

Hope this helps.

Apologies about the error... :suicide:

The PS3 won't upscale copy protected DVD video over component due to the Macrovision protection on commercial DVDs.

Unless you had some way to remove the protection.... hmmmm..... :D

As im using a tv that dosnt support a hdmi in is their anyway i can achieve upscalling? hdmi to component converter box?

As im using a tv that dosnt support a hdmi in is their anyway i can achieve upscalling? hdmi to component converter box?

I'm pretty sure that you can't do this. The copy protection is what prevents devices such as the Ps3 from being allowed to upscale over component so I expect an HDMI to component converter would be considered illegal for the same reason. I've just checked and my amp will take a component signal and output over HDMI but not the other way around, presumably for that reason.

Assuming you have an HD TV (why else would you be asking about upscaling) then I guess your only option is to let the TV do the upscaling for you instead of the PS3. I'm guessing if the TV doesn't have an HDMI input it must be quite old though so maybe poor at upscaling. If you want the PS3 to do the upscaling I honestly think you need to buy a new TV. If you can't aford one then it's live without PS3 upscaling I'm afraid.

surely if its the ps3 that upscaling the picture and sending it out the hdmi port then you the upscaled picture not continue to travel throught the hdmi- component cable or converter? therefor fooling the ps3 to upscale through a cable that cnverts to another signal?

i may be totally wrongin everyway possible and made myself look very stupid but it makes sense in my own little head.

surely if its the ps3 that upscaling the picture and sending it out the hdmi port then you the upscaled picture not continue to travel throught the hdmi- component cable or converter? therefor fooling the ps3 to upscale through a cable that cnverts to another signal?

i may be totally wrongin everyway possible and made myself look very stupid but it makes sense in my own little head.

No. As s_d_grif pointed out, for the PS3 to upscale it needs to be via HDMI on an HDCP enabled conection. So the TV will handshake with the PS3 on HDCP letting the PS3 know it's "safe" to upscale. If you used some kind of HDMI to component cable you wouldn't get that handshake because the component input on the TV would be unable to provide it (not that I'm even aware of one existing because that's effectively a digital to analogue converter in a cable).

The HD Fury that jcw_mc referred to looks like it would do the job because it has electronics inside, powered by the HDMI, to do the digital to analogue conversion and provide the HDCP handshake. But for the price of it I'd still say you're better off getting a new TV !

yeh i think thats my only option. Gunna have to have a look over the next few days and see which one to get. im very tempted by a projector though. The only reason i didnt want a new tv was that my plasma is nearly 8 years old and still going strong so i wanted to see how long it would last but a projector would be a nice upgrade but a decent fixed. By the looks of it PS3 and a projector would be awsome experience althought i have only seen pics on this forum

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom