Sony HDD/DVD edit limitations

D

Duddy

I am considering buying a DVD/HDD recorder to replace both my DVD player and VHS recorder.

I was almost sold on the Sony 510, but then noticed reviews were pointing out its editing limitations.

I want to transfer a lot of VHS tapes to the hard drive and then ultimately back to DVD. The ideal way to do this would be to leave a VHS tape playing into the hard drive and then divide it into chunks later and even create chapters for the disc.

Am I right in assuming that this is where the 510 falls down? Are all the Sonys (even the more expensive models and the forthcoming 710) like this?

Can anyone suggest another make and model that is high quality, also has iLink but is capable of doing this editing facility. Can't believe Sony have screwed up on this. It seems such an obvious function.

Most of the Sony range fall down on the <plus> format editing. The <minus> format editing is as good as any other, AFAIK. No need to look for another recorder, since it will do all you need in the <minus> domain.

Thanks,

But what about doing the editing on the hard drive - eg. dividing files to make them new individual files and then recording to disc - whether it's + or -?

Are you able to do this on a Sony?

Duddy said:
Thanks,

But what about doing the editing on the hard drive - eg. dividing files to make them new individual files and then recording to disc - whether it's + or -?

Just looked at the Sony user manual. They say:

Dividing a title

"If you want to dub a long title to a disc but do not want to reduce the picture quality, divide the title into two shorter titles."

This operation works on the hard drive and also (on playlist titles only) DVD-RW (VR mode).

Nuff said? Incidentally, this is an improvement on the HX 900/1000 where the facilities were rather basic. Hmm... I might even think about trading mine in...

Duddy said:
Thanks,

Just looked at the Sony user manual. They say:

Dividing a title

"If you want to dub a long title to a disc but do not want to reduce the picture quality, divide the title into two shorter titles."

This operation works on the hard drive and also (on playlist titles only) DVD-RW (VR mode).

Nuff said? Incidentally, this is an improvement on my HX 900 where the facilities were rather basic. Hmm... I might even think about trading mine in...

Thanks for the info!

Of course, now I have to decide whether to wait for the 710/910 in the autumn!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom