1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5H - Mucking up all my albums

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Little-Madam, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Little-Madam

Little-Madam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I recently purchased a new sony hd5h, I went for this version as at only thirty pounds extra I figured why not go for the thirty gb version of the player. However, I have had to take it back to the store today as I have two major problems. The player is marvellous and sound once sorted is fine but sonicstage decided to muck up all my albums. For example, I uploaded an album that I had downloaded (99% of my albums are downloaded) and instead of transferring the album as one, it split the album into two parts! I would go into the artists section and find that my album was listed in two sections and in each section there were different songs from the album e.g. three of the songs were in one part and seven or so in another. Also, when I looked in my library, I noticed that it had taken three of my favourite albums and divided them into ten different sections! The player is great and I would like to buy it again but I am now reluctant to as I don't want to compromise on not having album tracks listed properly.

Can anyone tell me if its better to put downloaded albums on cd first before uploading them to the player? And is there any way to rectify my problem?

I would also appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the memory capacity, I bought a 30gb, yet when I connected the player to my laptop, it said I only had 27gb. :lease: Could someone let me know if they have any information or have experienced the same problems with the player

Thanks

2. rigger123

rigger123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I cant really help you with your main problem, cos i havent been brave enough to download any albums off the net. But i can clarify that 27 gig sounds about right. i only have a 20 gig HD3 but when connected to the PC it says 18.6 gig (or somthing close to that). Its got somthing to do with the fact that hard drive manufacturers say 1 gig = 1024 meg yet companies selling the HD's say that 1 gig = 1000 meg (so that it sounds like your getting more for your money).

3. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Downloaded legally or illegally?

If illegally the problem is probably that the tags on the mp3s aren't right.. Like different spelling of the artists or album.. Also, i think the hd5 reads everything case sensitive. So if you've got "Bob marley" and "Bob Marley", the hd5 will read it as 2 seperate artists..

I spent about 4 hours changing all the tags on my mp3s in sonicstage, it took ages but it means i havent got 238479 artists

4. Little-Madam

Little-Madam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your help! L11, I have one more question if you happen to check back. I would be grateful if someone else could help out too. I may be a music junkie but probably know flip all about tags etc of songs. I have a music file converter which can convert mp3s to wmas, wav etc. If I convert a song into a lower mb and say no to the 'preserve id tag' option... Would this help? I just tested one out and it wiped out extra information that pops up along the side of the folder options. Will this make my songs just 'plain' as it were without the complications?

5. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    makes no difference...
    The tags are different on many double cd's when you use gracenote or similar to tag them. Different album title for each cd i.e xxx(disc 1) and xxx(cd 2) is not uncommen, so SS sees it as 2 different ones. Also common is artist name spelt differently on each CD !!!

Get a decent tagging program and have a good trawl thru for mistakes / duplicates before you commit to sending the tracks to the player. I use musicmatch and its very easy to find and correct. There is plenty of free software such as Tag and M3U or Tagscanner on the Net

6. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - always knock off 10% of the quoted capacity of hard disks to get the real figure

7. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if it was downloaded illegally it could be that someone has tagged it manually.. downloaded the files from p2p and stuck them all together..

if you download them legally the likelyhood of the company managing to spell the artists name wrong on different tracks is very small

8. clivem2

clivem2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your albums are being split then it's probably CDDB that's the cause, not Sonicstage or the HD5.