1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5 today arrived today - first thoughts

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Hrochnick, May 11, 2005.

1. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    After a couple of weeks of waiting my HD5 arrived today - It's even cuter in the flesh than I imagined. I've spent most of the evening sorting my music collection onto sonicstage (first time user - it does seem a bit clunky but I'm getting used to it now, fairly easy to use and it hasn't crashed although it does slow up from time to time) in preparation for transferring to the player, which I'm doing now.

I put a couple of songs on earlier though and had a play around. Sounds good so far, actually sounds better on the supplied headphones than my old fonotopia's but they are the plastic type and my ears hurt after about a minute so maybe time to buy something else.

The unit seems very user friendly no probs navigating through menu's and to songs though I'm a little dissapionted about the 'follow turn' feature - it doesn't actually follow you anywhere. When switched on it fixes the display depending on how you are holding it, but it stays like that. Not so much 'follow turn' as 'switch on and see'. Anyway, if I can drag myself away from it, I need some sleep... Very happy so far.

2. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    wow!release date is may 20th so your damn lucky!

are you uk and who did you order with?
    im hoping mine will come sometime this week maybe if im lucky!

got any pics for us :)

3. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah I'm in the UK. Ordered it with Sony Style and I believe the release date was Monday the 9th. It certainly show's on Sony Style as being available to order now (not pre-order anymore) Although it was out of stock last time I looked, I suppose a lot of people pre-orderd. Dunno why Amazon are insisting on the 20th? Maybe due to having to get thier supply and sort it out? Dunno. Don't have any pics for you, I could if you want but there are certainly plenty out there already so I'm not sure what value I can add to that...

4. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

That all sounds good to me. The only thing id like to know is if it works with remote RMC40.. Ill just have to take the risk as even sony dont seem to know.

5. zenmod

zenmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD 5 definitely does support the RM40. I read it in Japanese Walkman catalogue, which is available at Sony's Japanese website as a pdf file.
    The RM40 is listed there under accessoires and it says that it works with the HD1, 3 and 5.

Also, the 30G version is available for pre-order on Sony Style Germany for € 330, which is only 10 per cent more than the suggested retail price for the 20G version.

Just placed an order for 30G to finally be able to use my RM40 remote. :D

6. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the info.. The 30g version is up to pre order on sony style UK for £229. Not bad price methinks.

7. SP303

SP303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you can answer these questions:

Does it have the same sound problem as the HD3, and can it be removed the same way? The sound limiter thing, EU regs and all that.

Can you queue up tracks? (like winamp) or do you still have to play an album at a time?

Whats the A-Z search like?

Sorry to pester but I need to know before I consider parting from my HD3 :D

8. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its probably hd3 but a lot better..mine coming soon hopefully!!!

erm check the sony site it should answer a lot of questions.

9. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The AVLS system is present and can be turned on or off from the menu – mine came with it switched off already, so no problems there.

You don’t seem to be able to queue up tracks but you can create playlists as you go along. You have to be playing the song and a simple couple of buttons bookmarks it and adds it to your playlist of choice. There are 5 available on the machine and you can add one of 40 icons to each playlist which also show on each song within the playlist (which can have a maximum of 100 songs each it seems). Songs are removed in a similar way but again, can only be done while playing that song. You can also create playlists in sonic stage to be transferred and I assume these will be in addition to the five available on the machine but haven’t tried it yet.

The A-Z search is pretty cool, when selected a little a to z menu pops up on half the screen which you then scroll through to select your required letter to take you to the first song in the list beginning with your letter. While scrolling through the letters the relevant songs are displayed behind the pop up.

I also like the ‘unit’ option – when turned on and you are shuffling songs this allows you to shuffle within whatever section you want. So if you press play on ‘tacks’ it will shuffle everything, if you press play in a genre, say rock, it will shuffle all of your rock songs or on an artist it will shuffle only songs from that artist and so on. I don’t know if this is a standard kind of thing, being my first proper HDD player and all but I like it all the same. Edit: I also like the fact that if you stop a track and switch off the player, it will continue from the same point when you switch on again and press play.

I’ll also add that the buttons are quick and responsive with a very satisfying little click (on the unit, not a sound through the headphones) and holding them down literally zooms through the list taking you to the required artist/album/song pretty quickly. As I said before, navigation is a breeze. After the first charge I had it on solidly for about 16 hours yesterday shuffling at ¾ volume with a mixture of ATRAC3Plus at 64kbs and mp3’s at mainly 128 or 196kbs. It still had a quarter of the battery left when I reconnected it to my pc to add more tracks and it started charging again.

On the downside it did freeze once yesterday and I had to remove the battery to bring it back to life with apparently, no adverse affects. Hopefully that’ll be a one off but we’ll see.

So far, all in all, I’m well impressed.

10. Catastrophe

Catastrophe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i saw somewhere that its made in malaysia.....is this true? the quality build is getting worse with new models>< hd1 and hd3 is made in japan...

11. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah it is made in Malasia, but it's a well built solid little thing. I've not held a HD1 or 3, but I've no complaints (yet) with this one.

12. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Why is malaysia so bad? Any factory a company like Sony owns, is going to be one of the best equiped around, regardless of where it is.

13. Catastrophe

Catastrophe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, the PSP is a good example.....ppl who got the made in china models generally gets worse screen quality as opposed to the made in japan version. they used SHARP for the LCD in japanese model, but samsung for china ones.

well....i reckon the HD3 has better built as theres no seams...whereas the HD5 has a obvious seam at the top

14. thwi

thwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I think its bull about the PSP's.. I have used both US/Jpn models side by side and could not see any difference.

If you want the player just buy it, and use it

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Jap PSP's used to have Sharp screens, US : Samsung. The Sharp were apparently sharper (no pun intended) but more expensive. Now, all PSP's worldwide use Samsung I think

17. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the nw-hd5(and hd5h - the one I want) have bookmarks ? REAL bookmarks - in the middle of an audiobook-style bookmark ? Does it have the ludicrous EU volume restriction, and is there a fix ?
    Ta.

18. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does have an eu volume limit, i would have thought all audio players would have the same limit though, why are only sony limiting them? im sure there will be a workarround come out soon.

19. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, watchy - just checked on other postings just before seeing your answer. It is strange that no-one else is doing it though, isnt it ?
    Now - if I can just find out if this does real bookmarks, for my audiobooks, :D I'll order one NOW at Sony style as the price is no different to amazon. PLUS its down for delivery end of May. :thumbsup: :clap:

By the way - to the feller who bought his nw-hd5 off Sony style - was it free postage ?

20. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    www.dabs.com/uk have it for £185 and £1 or something for postage and packaging.

ive ordered with them and they are getting it may 20th i presume sooo errm im gonna hvae to wait till then.

21. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not interested in the 20gb - if I was going to get a 20gb I'd probably get the Rio Karma which has just reached £139.99 on Comet. Actually, I may well get that anyway, and wait for the nw-hd5h to come down in price ! :D

22. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Phil, postage - yep free with Sony style. Bookmarks, real bookmarks meaning you can specify a point in a track, or obviously in your case an audiobook, to come back to, no. But it will resume playing from the point you left it when you stop and switch it off. So erm, as long as you only want to listen to one book at a time and don't want to intersperse your book listening with music you'll be okay... hmm, not really ideal is it.

23. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good info, Hrochnick and I thank you for it. Still interested in it though (the hd5h 30gb that is) but may delay it for a while and go for for the £100 less Karma for a while anf let the price come down/firmware change things ! :D

24. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Apparantly you use the some volume fix as for the HD3.

25. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    I too mainly use my ipod for audiobooks and free podiobooks (and the ipod is hardly ideal for them), instantly ruling out nearly all other players that can't bookmark :( imagine having to skip forward through 30 hours of audio to get back where you were in the book. Don't know what's so special about the player resuming the song where it left of though?, I thought all players did that anyway?. As for the sensible volume limit the ipod's have it as well, it's not as if it's only on the Sony.

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    the volume limit is due to EU law. The amount of times I read people say why have Sony reduced the volume blah blah etc. OK, other DAPs seem to be louder still, but with a volume fix around the corner, whats the problem?

27. Phil K

Phil K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem seems to be why only Sony seem to implement this ridiculous piece of buearocratic twaddle, thats why.
    But I agree no problem with a fix. However I'd bet there are a greater percentage who would prefer no restriction and who do not know, nor will ever find out the fix.

28. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The EU creates "buearocratic twaddle" but that is a different topic altogether.

Does anyone know if the HD5 has a blue back light on all of the 3 different colours?

29. ahbeng

ahbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are there any limitations when playing mp3 compared to atrac tracks?

For the HD-3, I heard the equalizer settings could not be applied to mp3 tracks. Only bass and treble could be used for mp3.

thanks!

30. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I thought I made that clear but still people assume its all down to Sony. what can you do?