1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HD5 - System Errors & garbled playback

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jjust, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other day I was listening to a track when TWICE my HD5 came up with
    SYSTEM ERROR H20 and proceeded to turn off. I could turn it back on and it resumed the track in the same spot.
    Anyone know what this is/means????

Also, after doing that twice at the start of a 30min track, about 20 mins later it started 'jumping' around the mp3 (sounding much like a scratched CD). I just assumed it was a bad mp3 rip. But today I listened to the same 30 min track without incident/skipping at all. I could understand the odd jump if I was bouncing around; but I wasn't (and isn't this GShock sposed to help out??).

Any ideas about this??? Should I be returning this or something? I'd rather have cracked buttons than these issues.....

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Have you installed the latest firmware? That fixed the System Error H20 for me.

3. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I updated to 1.2 - is that the latest?

I did that the first day that I got the player, so no go:(

4. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is there a way to find out which firmware is currently installed ?

Only bought mine a week ago so presume it is 1.2 if not I will consider an update although I don't have any problems with it at the moment.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't assume anything.

Plug in AC adaptor, stop playing songs, go to menu, then initialise, then update firmware. It will tell you at the top.

If it is still version 1.1 please visit this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230136
    and do the test, we really need to see whether this problem was introduced with the latest firmware. Do it a few times, post your results and upgrade to version 1.2 and then try it again. Thanks for your help

6. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Should have been able to find that, doh....... :lesson:

Anyway, already on 1.2

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh well, can you do the test anyway? thanks

8. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sasso, I'm on version 1.1. Which test did you want us to do? The one shadowritten described in post #1 or the one you described in #17? I thought you guys figured out this problem already?

Andrew

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a thread on this issue a few days back, but then sort of thought it was just my imagination - I convinced myself it was the mp3 files that were corrupt, after reading your problems jjust I realised it probably IS the HD5! I'll take it back to Curries just in case:)

10. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ditto; what test ?

I have several MP3's which are very long tracks and also quite a lot of full CD's in one file and so far no sign of skipping or garbling.

On a slightly different topic though what I did find was that some MP3's would import into SS but then would not transfer unless I re-encoded them even though they had all previously played perfectly on everything else.

Not a real problem.

11. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, we're talking about two different things here. The original poster was talking about a system error and jumping/skipping during playback of an MP3 file.

Sasso is talking about a completely different issue, which is to do with the "Unit" feature. I've posted my findings on the problem in the appropriate thread here.

Andrew

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sorry, just thought Id take the chance because no one with v1.1 seemed to have tried it yet (yes its the test in the first post, shadowitten updated his post to make it more clear, my post was an attempt at actually explaining the problem in detail).
    Basically we do know what is happening but we are trying to figure out why one guy didnt have the problem we thought firmware, but now as you have proven, it isnt to do with firmware version, so we can probably just conclude that Sony had it like that from the start, and its still a problem.

Yep but dont mind me, back to what is it? Tracks skipping and stuffing up, oh gee great, HD5 is really good :rolleyes:

13. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So nobody else ever has System Errors with v1.2??

14. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for sounding daft, but where/how do you d/l the update because my hd5 is on v1.0

15. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I had one this morning. Basically, I started the unit first thing, it chugged for a bit but wouldn't play, it errored and then restarted. Then it was fine.

Its not something I worry about, as its got a computer in it I know its bound to crash from time to time.

16. myepitome

myepitome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nvm! found it...did a search for firmware on the site and it came up with nothing...then clicked on support and there it was...great search aid that is...

17. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not had a 'system error' or where the player totally freezes, but I have had the garbled playback just like a scratched cd!

18. jjust

jjust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I don't but the "it's a computer so it's got to have bugs " line of things.

A hardware device like the HD5 is EXTREMELY different to a home PC. Why? Cos
    a) the only 'software' on the device is made directly by the hardware manufacturer (assumingly in a lowlevel fashion); and
    b) the device only has only limited input functions; and
    c) has no real facilities for customisation.

As such, I believe crashing is unacceptable. Clearly a better testing strategy is reqd by Sony.

RE garbled playback - I was the same thinking it was a bad mp3, but the next day the same track went through without any issue. I just played in on my PC - all good. So yep - yet another hd5 issue.