Sony HD5 - Screen/Backlight Issue

N

NeoGeo

I recently bought an HD5 and I'm very pleased with it but I have a question about the screen and backlight.

- When the backlight is turned off the screen looks a bit 'dirty', certain areas are not completely blank. They are slightly black, you still can read everything but it's not 'stylish'.

- When the blacklight is turned on the same problem occurs. When you browse trough the artists/songs/... the highlighted text is not completely black (it more looks like brown/red on my screen btw) but you can see stripes and dots which are lighter.

I used the 'positive' setting.

- When I look at the screen from the side it flickers a bit, with the backlight switched one it's more noticeable.

Is this normal or am I the only one with this problem? I'm a bit worried as my unit was exposed to the sun where I bought it. It was the last black unit the shop had so they had to take it from the display...

When the backlight turns off you can see the display if you look very closely, i think its normal - does not bother me, no one will see it unless they stick their face right up to it.

As for flickering, ive not experienced that.

If the LCD was exposed to excessive heat then it could have been damaged.

The exact conditions to cause irreparable damage will vary according to the LCD manufacture and materials used.

If you can go back to the shop and view another model, hopefully one that hasn't been exposed to the sun, and compare the display with yours this may prove the point one way or the other.

I'm not saying your display is damaged but I think that it is worth checking out.

NeoGeo said:
I used the 'positive' setting.
By positive you mean black writing on a white background, yes? I found with my first hd5 that when using this style it wasn't long before some menu lines were showing on other screens when they were not supposed to. Almost like that had been burnt in place becasue of no screen saver. On my new Hd5 I have only used the negative setting and I've not experienced this problem, thankfully.

Negative looks nicer anyway :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom